Optima batteries

Chingfue

5+ Year Member
All right! this winter sucks butt big time. My battery went out on me like 7 times this winter. It's a brand new yellow top battery, i don't know if it's the alternator or what, but my car's good for a few days then when it's really cold it cranks but it seems to have no juice. What does everyone think. I only bought it because i have a big loud system cranking like 4-6 thousand watts. However, for winter i took my system out except the 20 farad capacitor. I also installed some jdm fog lights but the fog lights has a switch to turn on and off. What does everyone think?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Alternator?

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
#1 Test your alternator (Autozone does it for free).

#2 Why on earth would you need a 4000 watt sound system?

ryanM

sound systems are gay

optima batteries are not

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is my experience with Optima Batteries. The yellow top is made for stereos, however, they are made to be used for the stereo itself in the back of the car. Not to crank and run the car. I thought the same thing and I had the same problem and my yellow top died on me after a year and a half. It's the red tops that are made for cranking and running the car. Unfortunately, they don't make a red top in the size that fits civics. Your better off just buying a regular battery. If you really and quick simple way to check the alternator, start your car, disconnect the positive terminal on the battery. Your car should still run. Another thing you can do is start your car and use a multimeter to see the voltage on the battery. Leave everything connected to the battery, put one wire from the multimeter to the positive term. and one on the negative term. Black to neg and red to pos and see the amount of volts there are. I believe if it is reading in the 11s, your alternator could be shot. Anything above that, it's most likely the battery.

ryanM

Here is my experience with Optima Batteries. The yellow top is made for stereos, however, they are made to be used for the stereo itself in the back of the car. Not to crank and run the car. I thought the same thing and I had the same problem and my yellow top died on me after a year and a half. It's the red tops that are made for cranking and running the car. Unfortunately, they don't make a red top in the size that fits civics. Your better off just buying a regular battery. If you really and quick simple way to check the alternator, start your car, disconnect the positive terminal on the battery. Your car should still run. Another thing you can do is start your car and use a multimeter to see the voltage on the battery. Leave everything connected to the battery, put one wire from the multimeter to the positive term. and one on the negative term. Black to neg and red to pos and see the amount of volts there are. I believe if it is reading in the 11s, your alternator could be shot. Anything above that, it's most likely the battery.
yellow tops are not made to only run stereos

whoever told you that is an idiot

Solid_Snake

Te mato con mi VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you really and quick simple way to check the alternator, start your car, disconnect the positive terminal on the battery. Your car should still run.
You are not supposed to do this as it may cause voltage spikes and damage electronic components.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
that 20 farad capacitor might have something to do with your battery crapping out, seeing how it takes like half the amperage of the battery to charge that thing. disconnect it and see if it helps

NycivicSi

5+ Year Member
A.4000 watt system is Gay in a civic this is not circa 98 B. Yellow tops are not just for sound system you dumbass C. check the alternator

Chingfue

5+ Year Member
all right. quit all ya'll hating about systems. when a suv comes up to you and blast it's music, what do you do. from a little ass civic, i turn my s**t up and bang the f..... out of that beast. plus smoke that fool afterwards. I was up in a few competition battles in high school, but now since i'm done with high school i'm just left with a powerful system so i just use it.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yellow tops...dont even get me started. Went through two of them within two years.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the dmm shouldnt read below 12.45v.....that dude has no idea what hes talking about.....the average voltage is 12.6v and if you take it somewhere to have someone fix the problem and they get a reading of less than 12.45v off your battery they arent gonna do any tests on it until they recharge it.....if you know anyone who has a vat then you could have them do a battery load test and see if it drops below 9.6v....or an alternator output test and see if its pushing out what it should be......or you could take the alt. off and take it to autozone like someone already said.............or you could just have a shitty starter....who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i still say its the damn capacitor. its way too large for the output of the stock alternator

ThaJokaa

Buildin..???
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
optimas are gay my friend had one and it dischrage in less than a month