Optimum Gas Mileage

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sl33per said:
Aren't u suppose to put 91 on the SI? It does say on the manual and on the gas cover... its just that 91 is 3.49 dollars over here in LOng BeacH, CA
YES you must run at least 91 in your Si or else your engnie will start to knock ( detonate) wich can and most likely will damage your engine. I only run 93 in my car wich around here cost $2.98 a gal.

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TheCrazy1 said:
*sigh* I wish prices would drop even a few cents here. Last night as I was driving around I saw prices went up to $3.64. I think it's time for me to get a Costco card. :lol:
I got a Costco card, but do I really trust putting Costco gas in my car as oppose to Chevron? Nope. Hahaha.
King Bob said:
YES you must run at least 91 in your Si or else your engnie will start to knock ( detonate) wich can and most likely will damage your engine. I only run 93 in my car wich around here cost $2.98 a gal.
It's recommended you run at leat 91 premium in a Si, but it isn't a must. Running anything lower would most likely damage the engine depending on your driving habits.

jcmrules

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DuH-ReL said:
I got a Costco card, but do I really trust putting Costco gas in my car as oppose to Chevron? Nope. Hahaha.
It's recommended you run at leat 91 premium in a Si, but it isn't a must. Running anything lower would most likely damage the engine depending on your driving habits.

They have Quik Trips gas stations here they use that top tier gas which is basically the same standard as chevron. i worked for4 them and I always use their gas no matter what. Here in Az its stayed at about 3.09 for like 3 weeks now. I spend about 40 to 60 bucks a week but I drive alot. Costco gas is ok now archo and 76 circle k gas I dont trust.

J Rod

JDM Like Whoa!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, price gouging for gas!

2.75 here Iowa.

I still havent gone through a full tank in the Si, when I do, Ill let you know how good I got on mileage.

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jcmrules said:
They have Quik Trips gas stations here they use that top tier gas which is basically the same standard as chevron. i worked for4 them and I always use their gas no matter what. Here in Az its stayed at about 3.09 for like 3 weeks now. I spend about 40 to 60 bucks a week but I drive alot. Costco gas is ok now archo and 76 circle k gas I dont trust.
*high five* I didn't know QuickTrip gas was a top tier gasoline.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company

I'm averaging around 26-27 mpg on normal driving and 24-26 when i-VTEC'ing it. Weird that the mpg doesn't change that much. According to a snipet in Road & Track: "The most efficient way to reach cruising speed is wide-open-throttle (WOT) short-shifting. That is, not only do revs cost money, but so does prolonged motoring in lower gears, when throttling and pumping losses are their greatest.

WOT/short-shifting can save as much as 20 percent in city driving, worst to best case. In actual practice, rarely does traffic allow full WOT, but it's certainly fun — and efficient as well — to accelerate briskly through the lower gears to whatever the ambient speed happens to be."

Does that make sense to anybody else? Cause I'm having trouble understanding and implementing the concept into my daily driving habits.

TheCrazy1

i-VTEC addict
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DuH-ReL said:
Does that make sense to anybody else? Cause I'm having trouble understanding and implementing the concept into my daily driving habits.
I read about that before. I'm in the same boat as you right now, haha.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah it means dont shift at the 8 grand that you can, shift at about 3 grand to 4 grand. and if you need to speed up but its going really slow downshift to pick up speed a bit then shift again so you wont have to floor it to start picking up speed you lose alot of gas that way.

hope that made it easier to understand

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
GETxERxDONE said:
yeah it means dont shift at the 8 grand that you can, shift at about 3 grand to 4 grand. and if you need to speed up but its going really slow downshift to pick up speed a bit then shift again so you wont have to floor it to start picking up speed you lose alot of gas that way.

hope that made it easier to understand
Shifting earlier on the RPM meter; that would constitute the short-shifting part, correct?

Where does the WOT come into play? Is that were you keep the gas pedal depressed more than halfway or something? Or like you're stepping on the pedal with more force to "open up" the throttle?

I'm having difficulty quantifying how much is lost to throttling and pumping and understanding how WOT saves gas. :???:

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
damm you guys have it bad 265$ for 87 here okc if i fill it all the way up 10gl i get about 320-330miles about 31/gl hevy foot

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DuH-ReL said:
Shifting earlier on the RPM meter; that would constitute the short-shifting part, correct?

Where does the WOT come into play? Is that were you keep the gas pedal depressed more than halfway or something? Or like you're stepping on the pedal with more force to "open up" the throttle?

I'm having difficulty quantifying how much is lost to throttling and pumping and understanding how WOT saves gas. :???:
yes shifting early in the rpms is shortshifting, technicaly in racing short shifting is anywhere before redline, but you dont need to go anywhere near redline in normal driving

it doesnt matter how forceful you step on the gas pedal. but like the guy above said, yes WOT is when the gas pedal is pushed all the way. and it would save alot of gas to just downshift a gear and speed up instead of keeping it at low rpms with WOT

*sigh* i need the Si :(

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WOT = wide open throttle = Floorin it!

TheCrazy1

i-VTEC addict
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeeeaaahhh.... I decided to try the WOT short-shifting tonight. After second gear I didn't shift it fast enough from 3rd to 4th, felt i-VTEC and then shortly afterward I found myself going 105 in 5th gear... :smackself I don't think I'm going to try doing that again anytime soon until I can control myself. I think I'll just stick to driving like a granny... :???:

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TheCrazy1 said:
Yeeeaaahhh.... I decided to try the WOT short-shifting tonight. After second gear I didn't shift it fast enough from 3rd to 4th, felt i-VTEC and then shortly afterward I found myself going 105 in 5th gear... :smackself I don't think I'm going to try doing that again anytime soon until I can control myself. I think I'll just stick to driving like a granny... :???:
you wern't WOT short-shifting. you were just WOT'ing it till 5th! haha. but yeah, WOT short-shifting takes a lot of discipline. i can get the short-shifting part down, but have a tough time with the WOT. does anybody know if driving such a way increase engine wear?

gas dropped down to $3.19 two nights ago for premium!!! :suprise: :suprise: :suprise:

NEMESIS_2006

BIOHAZARD WARNING
5+ Year Member
Wow all you Americans are confusing me with your miles per gallon language and gas prices!

I don't know what the conversion is, but I got 780 kilometers on my LX on a full tank, which was a bit disappointing because my boss says his 2003 Kia Spectra gets 820km????? Anyways, I will attempt to score a better milage soon.

Oh yeah, gas in Toronto is 75 cents/litre (Don't know what the conversion rate is to gallons).

TheCrazy1

i-VTEC addict
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DuH-ReL said:
you wern't WOT short-shifting. you were just WOT'ing it till 5th! haha. but yeah, WOT short-shifting takes a lot of discipline. i can get the short-shifting part down, but have a tough time with the WOT. does anybody know if driving such a way increase engine wear?

gas dropped down to $3.19 two nights ago for premium!!! :suprise: :suprise: :suprise:
Haha, that's why I said try :P

And yes! I paid $3.17 a gallon to to fill up my tank Friday night! :nod: Too bad I only got about 21 mpg. :smackself

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TheCrazy1 said:
Haha, that's why I said try :P

And yes! I paid $3.17 a gallon to to fill up my tank Friday night! :nod: Too bad I only got about 21 mpg. :smackself
$2.93 for chevron premium!!!! =O and damn man, 21 mpg?! i get about ~23 :cool:

damocivicturbo

5+ Year Member
Sorry to sound stupid but when you all talk about 87, 91, and 93 is that the octane levels of your fuels over there? The lowest we have over here in the uk is 95 and my d16z runs like a bag of s**t on it! I use 97 to 99 and get over 37mpg at 70mph.

TheCrazy1

i-VTEC addict
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
DuH-ReL said:
$2.93 for chevron premium!!!! =O and damn man, 21 mpg?! i get about ~23 :cool:
WTH?!?!? :shock: I hope it stays like that or goes lower on Sunday... I move back to Riverside that day and will definitely need to fill up. Oh and the 21 mpg... ALL city driving with lots of VTEC on that tank, haha. :lol: I usually get around 23 too. I need to see if the oil change I got today will also make a bump in there too, haha.