Options for a more affordable AC repair?

H-man

I have a 1994 Civic dx. I had the AC rebuilt by a shop about 9 years ago (O-ring, clutch,coil, dryer) and a new AC (aftermarket) put in about five years ago (evaporator, exp. valve, drier, pressure switch). That aftermarket AC was crap and lasted less than two years. I was told by a more reputable shop a couple of years ago that I need a new dryer and evaporator and I've held off on the repair due to the cost.

My question is, does anyone know if I have any cheaper options for ac repair? Is there anything I can do myself or any possibility of using refurbished parts? Just curious if anyone has found a way to make this very expensive repair more doable.

RonJ

Banned
What is currently wrong with the A/C?

H-man

What is currently wrong with the A/C?
It leaks refrigerant. When it first started a couple of years ago I got by for a while by repeatedly purchasing some inexpensive EZ charge and stopleak from Kmart. After a while though it wouldn't even hold that.

RonJ

Banned
Add some R134a refrigerant that contains a leak-detecting dye. By pinpointing the leak, you may avoid replacing the entire A/C system and instead just fix the leaking part or seal.

spooned209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
personally just i just removed it all together and drive with windows down

gugiey

Registered VIP
Add some R134a refrigerant that contains a leak-detecting dye. By pinpointing the leak, you may avoid replacing the entire A/C system and instead just fix the leaking part or seal.
ya this but the shop that put the parts on should have found the leak not just put parts on ....