over heating / instant bubbling on start

hiddenramza

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
1990 honda civic dx all stock

HI , i went to check out my friends civic cause he said he was having over heating problems.

He said has been sitting for a week. i went to start the car but it gave a little problem starting . I had the

hood up and took of the radiator cap before the start, after a few tries at starting when it finaly cranked on

the water in the radiator instantly started bubbling and spitting out hard from the radiator.
(note this was on a cold engine sitting for a week)

I have seen this before on my nephews car and for him it was the water pump.

Well, we go get a new water pump . replace pump add water to top and start the car. at first i see all the

water going down and filling where is was empty and i see it circulating i filled to the top and it was just

holding there for a good 40 seconds then it started over heating and bubbling again spitting the water right

out the radiator cap hole.

Any suggestions ? can the thermostat block the passage to the block and keep the water from circulating and cause it to do this ? Thanks in advance for any input i recieve=)

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thermostat and hoses would be your first bet. Next, I'd flush the radiator, probably twice. Pick up radiator flush, and COOLANT. NOT FUXCKING WATER. Fill it up, and try again.

hiddenramza

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thermostat and hoses would be your first bet. Next, I'd flush the radiator, probably twice. Pick up radiator flush, and COOLANT. NOT FUXCKING WATER. Fill it up, and try again.

dude please your your jake ass remarks to yourself, This is a place to help give insight and be helped. below i make a good point why water. water will not boil to the point of exploding instantly out in a cold motor from 0.00 sec of start. Guessing is cool and all, but that was retarded thing to point out --> NOT FUXCKING WATER. i'm ok on cars not noob

radiator is new and so are the hose's, i used water to test the flow anyone troubleshooting would do the same not smart to fill the radiator with anti freeze that cost money just to spit it on the ground if the problem was not fix. oil is getting kinda black so it needs a oil change but at least it shows me no milk color telling me water is mixing, Also the radiator before the spill was pure green so no mix's there either . last i forgot to say that i can plain see smoke coming out of the muffler . Usualy to me the none smokey smoke is the headgasket but that would not cause the instant bubbling on a cold engine . Already bought the thermostat will put it in on next day off. And yes i will replace all the gaskets while i am at it. any other suggerstions ?

mhorton

Still sounds like blown head gasket to me (or cracked head?), so compression is leaking into the water passage, especially since it did it instantly before it could heat up... I'd do a compression test to confirm one way or the other.
It should still have water mixed in the oil so I can't explain that though.

hiddenramza

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Still sounds like blown head gasket to me (or cracked head?), so compression is leaking into the water passage, especially since it did it instantly before it could heat up... I'd do a compression test to confirm one way or the other.
It should still have water mixed in the oil so I can't explain that though.
Youwas right, even thought I put in a new head gasket, it was bad again. the head ruined the gasket. I cleaned block but I never touched the head a peace from old gasket was on it. Though I never figured how I got a instant bubbling from cold in the radiator. after a good clean and a complete flush radiator+motor fluids, the bubbling did stop. I think it had a clog since the oil never went in the radiator and the water never reached the oil in the engine. since I pressure cleaned the block I might have opened it up