Overdrive hard shift auto

Hondacrx2

I recently purchased a used 1997 civic EX 164k. Car shift great under 55mph. However, when the car shifts into overdrive after 55mph it shifts very hard. The previous owner didn't do any trans flushes. And the oil was very black. I have been doing my own flushes. I am on flush 2. With 1 to go. I haven't seen any real improvement. Any input? As stated all the other gears shift fine. And it even downshifts out of overdrive fine.

Thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"Overdrive" in 4th (D) gear is just a downshift to 3rd gear. You shouldnt be manually doing that at 55+ anyways which is why it downshifts hard to begin with. Couple that with a poorly maintained auto tranny thats overdo on fluid changes and youre just accelerating tranny breakdown. It make also be a synchro issue or a worn tranny mount.

Hondacrx2

I don't manually shift anything. I am sorry if I worded my post poorly. The trans automatically upshifts into overdrive (4th gear) around 55mph. When it does upshift. The shift is hard. However, the car automatically downshifts itself out of overdrive (4th gear) fine. Hope that makes more sense. That's the only shift that is hard. The rest of the shift points for 1-3 are fine.

I just find it odd that the final shift is hard. Usually auto trans go out starting with the lower gears. And take a long time to shift to the next gear. However, I don't have these issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4th gear is just that. Overdrive is the act of dropping from 4th to 3rd while still accelerating, so your verbage has been misleading. With that hopefully corrected, your issue is simply a hard shift into 4th gear, which could be a synchro issue or another mechanical issue thats beyond my available knowledge.

Hondacrx2

4th gear is just that. Overdrive is the act of dropping from 4th to 3rd while still accelerating, so your verbage has been misleading. With that hopefully corrected, your issue is simply a hard shift into 4th gear, which could be a synchro issue or another mechanical issue thats beyond my available knowledge.
Sorry it was worded poorly. I was hoping it would just be a sensor. The issue only happens on upshift from D3 to D4. Thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
At least we're getting closer to clarifying the situation. Its a learning process and Im glad you're an understanding person.

So you're accelerating so fast that when it shifts at about 55mph from 3rd it does so very hard that it feels like the tranny "clunks" into 4th. Does that sound right?

Hondacrx2

At least we're getting closer to clarifying the situation. Its a learning process and Im glad you're an understanding person.

I drive like an old grandpa. The car was bought to be my commuter car for work. So it's just under normal acceleration. I have yet to "punch it" and see how it reacts. Also when I go to a steep hill on the highway the car will downshift fine to get up the hill. However, when it goes to shift back into D4/ overdrive it shifts hard. There is no noise involved. I would say a soft clunk. Have you ever shifted a manual car into a higher gear to early and the rpms were to high? And, get that slight jerk from the rpms falling? For example if I was going around a turn and was at 3k rpms in 3rd and shift into 5th. And you let the clutch out nice in smooth. It will give you a little jerk. Hope that makes sense. I don't mean when a new driver does this and releases the clutch to quickly. As that causes a severe jerk.

So you're accelerating so fast that when it shifts at about 55mph from 3rd it does so very hard that it feels like the tranny "clunks" into 4th. Does that sound right?

I drive like an old grandpa. The car was bought to be my commuter car for work. So it's just under normal acceleration. I have yet to "punch it" and see how it reacts. Also when I go to a steep hill on the highway the car will downshift fine to get up the hill. However, when it goes to shift back into D4/ overdrive it shifts hard. There is no noise involved. I would say a soft clunk. Have you ever shifted a manual car into a higher gear to early and the rpms were to high? And, get that slight jerk from the rpms falling? For example if I was going around a turn and was at 3k rpms in 3rd and shift into 5th. And you let the clutch out nice in smooth. It will give you a little jerk. Hope that makes sense. I don't mean when a new driver does this and releases the clutch to quickly. As that causes a severe jerk.

Hondacrx2

Ok. Now its all more clear. Im leaning towards this being a shift solenoid issue although I wont fully rule out the tranny mount. Here's a helpful link about solenoids...

http://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/transmission-solenoid/

Now you can inspect the tranny mount & research how to change the solenoid.
I agree. I am taking the car to a shop my buddy works for tomorrow for them to install new tires. I'll check out the engine and transmission mounts while I am there. Also, I agree with the solenoid. I know 90's hondas are prone to the linear solenoid failures. However, they usually throw a code, make D4 flash, and cause harsh shifts in the lower gears (1-2 ). I'll have to try and find out if there is a solenoid for D4 or overdrive.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good luck. Just keep in mind that what you keep referring to as "overdrive" is incorrect. 3rd & 4th gears have solenoids but "overdrive " is an an action and NOT a gear. The learning experience continues.

Hondacrx2

Good luck. Just keep in mind that what you keep referring to as "overdrive" is incorrect. 3rd & 4th gears have individual solenoids but "overdrive " is an an action and NOT a gear. The learning experience continues.
Do you happen to have a diagram showing the 3rd and 4th gear solenoids on the 96-00 civics? I have been unable to find a diagram that shows which solenoid controls which gear.

Thanks

Hondacrx2

Took the car to the shop. The front passenger side transmission mount down by the axle is completely broken through. It's also missing a bolt that holds the mount to the frame. I know most these secondary transmission mounts are more for show, then actually serving a function. Could this cause one hard shift? I also pulled out the lock up solenoid and tested and replaced the gasket with the 2 small screens in it. The solenoid tested good. And none of the screens were clogged. I just did the 3rd drain and fill. I will be taking it out for a drive here shortly. I included a picture of the transmission mount below.

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The transmission mount is necessary and NOT just "for show" as you will likely find out once you install one. You can try to repair your own using 3M WindoWeld (polyurethane) to save you money or just buy one at about triple the cost.