overheat while idle.. not when driving

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey all.. my car seems to be overheating when it idles after driving it.. u know, in traffic and stop lights.. but when im on the freeway, it rarely overheats.. my fan seems to be working too.. i just changed my oil recently.. my coolant seems to be ok.. what could it be?

eg6jdmhatch

5+ Year Member
im having the same problem as well..told my boy bout it and he said it might be my thermostat sensor that is no good..so maybe that could be it for you..go to a junkyard and pick on up and change it and see if that helps..

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm betting on the thermo, my old prelude had the same problem, if it starts to do it while driving, it could be the head gasket, try getting a thermo, and of course a coolant flush and fill.

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
could it maybe be the water pump? course i don't know how fast ur engine is running on the freeway, but that would make sense because your engine isn't turning as fast as when you're driving on the freeway, as it is when say you're sitting at a stop with it idling.

Last edited:

rcoolb2002

Team Quickwhips
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5thGenCX said:
could it maybe be the water pump? course i don't know how fast ur engine is running on the freeway, but that would make sense because your engine isn't turning as fast as when you're driving on the freeway, as it is when say you're sitting at a stop with it idling.
IT will flow enough to keep it cool. I would say check your thermostat.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
%99 chance it's your thermostat..... otherwise we're talking about a headgasket ;)
but like i said... %99 chance thermostat and %1 chance it's headgasket

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thermostat was just changed a lil while ago and seems to open up.. thats the only thing keepin my car from actually overheating and dying on me.. lol.. but i might just change the head gasket for the hell of it.. although, the oil seems to be ok in color...

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Umm dont forget about the fan men... Is your fan kicking on at all at idle....? Are you SURE the termostat opens? (put it on the grill and see).

420GREEN

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check the coolant for oil, than the oil for coolant(make sure either or isn't turnin' doodoo brown from mixin' together), than a compression check.....................just change or remove the thermostat and check it.........cheapest and easiest way to go.......

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its like 99% likely that its your thermostat

00CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thermostat is like $8 at advance auto. i would go get one. we had ours go out several weeks ago and turned around last week and replaced it again..althought advance exchanged it b/c it had only been a few weeks

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thermostat is new/good.. fan does kick on when idle (when it starts to get hot).. hasn't been overheating lately.. kidna weird..

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just b/c the thermostat is new doesnt mean its good..... Like I said, test it to make sure it opens up (on a grill).

Run your systems WITHOUT the thermostat to see if it still happens..

00CivicGirl

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ exactly..we thought the same thing and ran it with out the thermostat and thats when we found out it was the thermostat..

while the car is runnnig feel the top radiator hose. is it warm or cold

RiceburnerRyan

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
he doesnt think ... hes a jew jew bean ... mitch.. juss f**kin replace the thermostat again ..

o0kuam0o

Master of Ceremonies
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have already run my car wihtout the thermostat.. doesnt change a damn thing..