Overheating..how to add coolant?? HELP

misspurkey

5+ Year Member
Ok.. sooo, I have a 2005 EX Coupe and when I was on my lunch break today noticed that the temp gauge was hot..Not much I could do so, turned the car off, went back into work. Had a co worker check the it after work and my radiator and reserve were both bone dry. I understand there my be an underlying problem that caused this, but I need to at least make it to the weekend..He told me to get diluted coolant and add it..then someone else told me to just add water, but to only do it when the engine was cold. I managed to make it home,,(I work until 1am..so I was on my own..) but need to know, should I add coolant? How do I do it? Im sorry, I am a total girl and have no idea how to get this done, and dont get paid until until this weekend so cant afford to bring it in until then. I just need to get back and forth from work for the next two days w/o doing any serious damage. HOW do I add coolant? I know where to pour it in, lol, but is there anything special I need to do? I cant afford to be stuck on the side of the highway tomorrow trying to get to work. Please help! Thank you..

jdm jim

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes, deffinately add the coolant. get the premixed. the radiator cap is near the front of the car and the white overflow bottle. put the coolant in both of those, but only when the car is COLD. if you keep driving it your going to ruin your engine. get it looked at asap.

misspurkey

5+ Year Member
Thank you..I added the coolant to the reserve or whatever its called, and the radiator..then i let my car run for a little bit but still seemed to get hot..not AS hot, but more then normal.. The fan kicked in so I don't know what is up. Hope I make it to work.. love the 'quote' btw, jdm..papa roach?? love that song.. thanks for replying...

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you do add water, use distilled water. Water out of the tap has minerals and other not so good stuff for the radiator and other parts.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah tap water makes everything ugly overtime.

so um miss purkey...i dont remember your introduction thread with pics lol

20civic04

5+ Year Member
put some coolant in and start the car and try and see if you can see where the leak is coming from. if its coming from the radiatior try some Stop Leak.(walmart or auto parts store). what ever you do dont take the radiator cap off right after you have drivin it for a while, because it builds pressure and when you take the cap off you will have a coolant volcano lol and that stuff is hot. dont use the stop leak as a permanent solution though