overheating issue on EX '99

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey guys, my mom just recently bougth an Ex 99, after a week it started overheating to red line in about 5 minutes, so I change a bad hose, bleed the system and change the radiator cap, now it takes about 30 to 45 minutes to star overheating gradually, only when its on movement, if i let it parked idling the temperature gets down and stay a little bit down from the middle.
what should i check or look for??? where could be the problem??? it doesn't have oil on the water, nor water on the oil, neither bubbles from explosion on the radiator.
thanks in advance.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the fan kicking on?

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like thermostat.....did u mix the coolant 50/50 with distilled water?

hows your oil level & when was last oil change?

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like thermostat.....did u mix the coolant 50/50 with distilled water?

hows your oil level & when was last oil change?
i only put coolant, it already came mixed, the oil is at normal level and it was changed about 3 weeks ago, do you think it could be the thermostat???

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes. That should be one of the things you should change out if this is ever an issue. It's fairly inexpensive fix.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
when u do maintanence on the radiator you always change the thermostat, cuz you are taking it out anyways to drain the cooling system. also, when ur mom bought the car did you guys check the coolant in the radiator to make sure there was no golden or silver flakes in there?? cuz this could mean a messed up head gasket.

what you should do is find the person that sold the car to your mom and find out if it has a history of overheating. and if it does what the problem??

other than that, change the thermostat, while your add it , any other bad hoses.

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when u do maintanence on the radiator you always change the thermostat, cuz you are taking it out anyways to drain the cooling system. also, when ur mom bought the car did you guys check the coolant in the radiator to make sure there was no golden or silver flakes in there?? cuz this could mean a messed up head gasket.

what you should do is find the person that sold the car to your mom and find out if it has a history of overheating. and if it does what the problem??

other than that, change the thermostat, while your add it , any other bad hoses.
we check it before the bougth, and drove it around and everything was fine, the seller says there was no overheating problems, and it worked fine the first week, then the problem started, also the seller says he will help me fix the problem and that if it is a mayor problem he will pay the fix

radracer

5+ Year Member
i would change the thermostat and flush the radiator and block while you have the thermostat out and also check the heater core for blockages

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
today i decided to change the thermostat, for my surprise there's is only the outer housing of the thermostat, and i don't think it is from the original, it was fited with silicon, to what i know if there's no thermostat it shouldn't get hot, anyway i will put a new thermostat, but i think it has another problem that they wanted to easy fix taking away the thermo, what other areas should i inspect???

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
today i decided to change the thermostat, for my surprise there's is only the outer housing of the thermostat, and i don't think it is from the original, it was fited with silicon, to what i know if there's no thermostat it shouldn't get hot, anyway i will put a new thermostat, but i think it has another problem that they wanted to easy fix taking away the thermo, what other areas should i inspect???
if adding a thermostat and bleeding the system real good does not help, I would take it to someone who can pressureize the system and see if there is a leak

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i change the thermostat on friday, and it seemed to work more or less, now it only gets hot when stoped on the red lights sometimes, as max to 3/4 of the gauge, when i re-restart the driving the temperature slowly gets down to the normal temp, what else should i replace???

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you may need to change your radiator cap, it sounds stupidly simple but sometimes the pressure release stops performing as it should and causes overheating aswell.

last time it happened to me i grabbed like 7 from the wreckers for free lol.. i ended up using a prestone 1.3bar one from the collection :lol:
could be so many things...last time he did timing belt was the water pump changed?

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you may need to change your radiator cap, it sounds stupidly simple but sometimes the pressure release stops performing as it should and causes overheating aswell.

last time it happened to me i grabbed like 7 from the wreckers for free lol.. i ended up using a prestone 1.3bar one from the collection :lol:
could be so many things...last time he did timing belt was the water pump changed?
i have changed the cap two times, i will ask him if he had changed the water pump

95coupeEX

When you "bled" the system did u make sure it was on an incline? If not there could be bubbles in the lines or the IACV...I had this happen to me before and all I had to do was find a little hill/incline or some ramps, park with the engine facing up hill and then rebled the system and added more water...fixed my problem and has been running fine for over a year n a half now. Try that n let us know. If that doesn't work it sounds like it could be the water pump...over time the fins will wear down n cause it to only be able to pump enough water when your driving down the road.

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When you "bled" the system did u make sure it was on an incline? If not there could be bubbles in the lines or the IACV...I had this happen to me before and all I had to do was find a little hill/incline or some ramps, park with the engine facing up hill and then rebled the system and added more water...fixed my problem and has been running fine for over a year n a half now. Try that n let us know. If that doesn't work it sounds like it could be the water pump...over time the fins will wear down n cause it to only be able to pump enough water when your driving down the road.
it was inclined, but i will try with some ramps i hope that help, if not i will have to change the water pump :(