Overheating on highway

ltnflvr

5+ Year Member
Hello. I just bought my mom's 98 civic DX. It has had a problem where it drives around fine in city type driving. However, if you drive more than 100 miles, it will overheat. She has had the radiator replaced as well as the thermostat. Also, I sat the car at idle yesterday for 15 minutes and the temp. was low, but the fan never kicked on. At one point, my mom overfilled the oil and it spilled into the coolant. The coolant res. is black coated, but the coolant is clean and green. The car really runs perfect around town. I just need to drive 6 hours next week and would like to resolve this if possible. Any suggestions? I cant help but think the thermostat was installed wrong and there is a bubble in the system, or a headgasket issue?

jonmaltese6thg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how would your mother overfill the oil into the coolant??? your not suppose to put oil untill it overfills either... too much oil eats your gaskets

ltnflvr

5+ Year Member
I agree, but I am just quoting her. It is bizarre to see oil coating the reservoir but not actually within the coolant. Im thinking the mechanic did not bleed the air probably. It is just strange it takes 100 miles for it to begin overheating.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can bleed the air out of your coolant yourself. leave your radiator cap on loosely, start your engine, turn the climate control to hot. let your engine idle for 15-20 mins or until your radiator fan clicks on at least 2 times. if this dosen't help, then their may be further issues

ltnflvr

5+ Year Member
still overheating

I don't think it is the water pump because I see coolant circulating when I rev the engine with the rad. cap off. Also, wouldnt it leak if it were broken? Do I need to burp the system with some bleeder on the housing of the thermostat? Or is opening the rad. cap good enough with heat on? Today it started overheating with the a/c on so I turned the a/c off and it was fun. I think I am going to put in another thermostat unless somebody has another suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for bleeding air out of coolant, civic service manual says to loosen the radiator cap, turn climate control to heat, let idle until radiator fan switches on 2-3 times.