Overheating Please Help!!!

civickid93

5+ Year Member
Ok so i have a 93 civic LX. I have been in an out of the shop trying to fix my overheating! nothing has worked. I have had the following things done to it:
WATER PUMP
DISTRIBUTOR
RADIATOR
MAIN RELAY
TIMING BELT
THERMOSTAT
All brand new and nothing has worked. It overheats at random times for me which makes it even worse. The majority of the time it overheats in the heat of the day which sucks cuz i live in orlando florida so it is always hot out.

If you have any ideas about what it could be please dont hasitate to tell me cuz right now im willing to try anything to get this problem fixed.

Thankyou!

RonJ

Banned
Are you losing coolant?

Have you properly bled the cooling system?

Does the radiator fan run when the engine is hot?

Do you see white smoke in the exhaust? Any oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil?

cvnig89

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does your cooling fan work? possibly headgasket, maybe heater core like my car at the moment.

civickid93

5+ Year Member
i Haven't bled the cooling system. And im not loosing coolant. And i havent seen any smoke coming out of the exaust. The Fan works also.

civickid93

5+ Year Member
what would be wrong with the head gasket to cause it to overheat? you think i have a blown headgasket? and what is the heating core?

RonJ

Banned
Bleeding the cooling system:

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):

RonJ

Banned
In some cases, an engine will overheat because there is air trapped in the cooling system. This air can block proper coolant flow. Bleeding removes any trapped air and is necessary any time coolant is drained or coolant hoses are removed.

It's also possible that there is debris clogging the system and the heater core. In this case, you need to flush the system with pressurized water (garden hose) and then bleed the system.

boosted_crx

5+ Year Member
ok first thing first dude is the car actually over heating. Thats one thing people jump to just becaues the gauge says its hot doesnt trully mean it is. Your gon have to check your temp sender sensor. Sometimes when you actually over heat an engine you damage our temp sensors and thermostat. By the thermostat there should be the fan temp sensor and under the dizzy should be your temp sender to gauge in car. You gon have to check how fast its resistance inscrease as temp goes up. The sensor is provided a reference voltage and changes as the resistance either increases or decreases. Your gon need a dvom and temp gun. If everything is ok with the sensors then you eitehr have some sort of cloging in your cooling system or you are leakin somewhere which is cause it to over heat. To check if you have a leak your gon have to pressure the cooling system form teh radiator cap and see if it holds pressure if it leaks down you have leak. Overheating is due to loss of cooling fluid and air entering the system which air does not absorb heat like liquid does.

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get a coolant flush at your local shop...cheap and should fix it...only lik 50-60 bucks

RonJ

Banned
Ok so i have a 93 civic LX. I have been in an out of the shop trying to fix my overheating! nothing has worked. I have had the following things done to it:
WATER PUMP
DISTRIBUTOR
RADIATOR
MAIN RELAY
TIMING BELT
THERMOSTAT
All brand new and nothing has worked. It overheats at random times for me which makes it even worse. The majority of the time it overheats in the heat of the day which sucks cuz i live in orlando florida so it is always hot out.
You mentioned that your fan is running. Why then ask about the fan switch? In addition, if the shop agrees that your engine is actually overheating, then it safest to assume that the engine IS overheating. In this case, focusing on the ECT sending unit or sensor is misplaced.

civickid93

5+ Year Member
Well the only time i can check the fan is when im stopped not while im driving so it might be sticking while im driving so its not allowing it to cool down!

RonJ

Banned
Well the only time i can check the fan is when im stopped not while im driving so it might be sticking while im driving so its not allowing it to cool down!
There's no reason to believe that the fan only runs when idling. That would be pretty unusual. In addition, the fan is needed primarily when the engine is idling because, when the car is moving, air is moving through the radiator and cooling the engine. I'm trying to prevent you from replacing parts unnecessarily (=$$$).

joker951

5+ Year Member
dude i think is your head gasket i had the same problem on my 98 LX i had the gasket replaced and head send to a machine shop it set me bak around 800 and i regret doin it i shoulve just got an engine swap : (.............

1995hondahatch

5+ Year Member
well, im not a Honda mechanic. but i don't think your head gasket will make you over heat. well, in the sense that if he has coolant. if its blown, he would be eating fluid, and when he is low or runs out that could make him over heat. but i don't think that the gasket itself could be the problem(like blocking it, but like i said im not a mechanic, i just tinker). i would try a flush. there could be something stuck in the block clogging it up. or i would suggest putting a lower thermostat in it. so that way it opens up sooner and might make it cooler. although i did read that Hondas don't like heat. small radiators. how much is it over heating though? i mean like full red or 3/4? if its 3/4 i would say bigger fan, lower thermostat. do you know what temp thermostat you have?

stickeyrice84

5+ Year Member
just flush the cooling system out and burp it also, have u check your radiator mine had a pen hole leak and i found it when my car was on a dyno as it ruptiored

nightmarebd

5+ Year Member
y dont u unplug automatic fan plug from the engine, the the fan will run all time to keep your engine cool.
if this is not gonna solve your problem the check the fan motor for the proper RPM.