Overheating

mikelangleo984

Been working on my sisters 2005 Civic DX since it keeps overheating. The weird part about it is that it stays at normal operating temperatures at idle but when i take it for a test drive a few miles out it starts to heat up. I brought it back home and left it running to check if fans were working, which they were, the car then returned to normal temp after a few moments. I have tested and replaced the engine temp sensor and the fan switch. Changed the thermostat and did a radiator bleeding for air. Havent checked anything with timing belt or water pump but i figure they are ok since the car cools down at idle. Any help is appreciated and thank you.

RonJ

Banned
Any fluid leaks? Have you pressure tested the cooling system?

Also buy/rent a block tester/kit at AutoZone to check whether the head gasket may be blown.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Hmm, quite the question. I have experienced this once but I doubt it could be this....There are many things that can be speculated here. As far as speculation and the given situation it is possible that it can be your head gasket (and there is a way to determine this) or a clogging of some sort...There can be a clog in the coolant lines or the water pump...it is also possible the water pump is having troubles as well. Do you have any Cel Codes? Have you noticed anything other than the temp. rising(like smoke out of the exhaust, traces of coolant leaks, water spewing out of a hose or radiator, The amount of coolant being consumed, coolant mixed with oil on your dipstick)?

mikelangleo984

small leak from the o-ring on the water pipe but i already changed that o-ring and it doesnt seem like there is something to hold that pipe in.

No coolant or water in the dipstick. I get the feeling its a clogging but i cant be sure. Going to buy the block tester from Autozone right now.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
small leak from the o-ring on the water pipe but i already changed that o-ring and it doesnt seem like there is something to hold that pipe in.

No coolant or water in the dipstick. I get the feeling its a clogging but i cant be sure. Going to buy the block tester from Autozone right now.
Getting the block tester is a good start. Let us know the results. Also, does the pipe come loose at times? If it is clogged, then you are going to have to clean the coolant lines and check the pump for clogging as well. If you ever do need to do this, start with the lines between the water pump and the radiator.

mikelangleo984

test came out good. stayed blue for the 2 minutes that i did the test. The pipe seems to be in there good and i cant move it in any more. i havent ever messed with the water pump before so not sure how it works

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
test came out good. stayed blue for the 2 minutes that i did the test. The pipe seems to be in there good and i cant move it in any more. i havent ever messed with the water pump before so not sure how it works
Sounds like you might want/need a service manual :drive: You should find everything that you should need in the download, the Download is a complete service manual (There is a navigation for the cooling system a couple of pages into it, it should show you what it does, how to replace or fix.)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/oawmyl0k359me1f/em2_repair.zip

RonJ

Banned
When the engine overheats, is the lower radiator hose hot, warm, or cool?

Describe how you bled the cooling system.

Have you pressure tested the cooling system?

mikelangleo984

lower hose is hot. About same temp as upper hose. Car doesnt seem to agree with faster acceleration, was cruising and temp was at normal, finally decided to step on it and i moved

I actually dont know where to download the manual.

mikelangleo984

It seems to be leaking quite a bit more from the water pipe. I already replaced the o-ring. should i replace the whole pipe also?

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
lower hose is hot. About same temp as upper hose. Car doesnt seem to agree with faster acceleration, was cruising and temp was at normal, finally decided to step on it and i moved

I actually dont know where to download the manual.
the download, you have to enter what ever is in the captcha. after you enter it correctly it will refresh and show you a download button (same place where the captcha was) for the download

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
It seems to be leaking quite a bit more from the water pipe. I already replaced the o-ring. should i replace the whole pipe also?
Unless the actual hose is leaking, no. You might have to tie it down with a hose clamp and see if that helps the leaking.

mikelangleo984

its not a hose its a metal pipe from the back of the thermostat housing that is connected to a hose with claps on the other side.

dont know what u mean by captcha

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
its not a hose its a metal pipe from the back of the thermostat housing that is connected to a hose with claps on the other side.

dont know what u mean by captcha
So that metal hose is the one that is leaking?

Also, the captcha is something that will show you an image. usually it is an assortment of words or letters. beneath the captcha should be a bar similar to a search bar. enter the word os letter assortment exactly as pictured and press enter. You should be either redirected or refreshed but this time in place of the captcha you will see a download button.

mikelangleo984

the metal pipe that connects to the back of the housing is leaking from where the o-ring goes. its right next to a wire bundle and where the distributor would go if it had one

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
the metal pipe that connects to the back of the housing is leaking from where the o-ring goes. its right next to a wire bundle and where the distributor would go if it had one
hmmm, when you replace the thermostat, after replacing the o ring did you apply silicon sealant ?