oversteer problems: solving with different tires front/back

Mask0rz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm having serious oversteer problems exiting corners during the rain. It scared the s**t out of me while driving 80 miles per hour while exiting the corner. I didnt push the car to the limit, normally you can go through the corner with this speed.

I'm trying to un-do that by installing bigger tires on the back.

Will it look weird when i have 195/R15/50 in the front and 205/R15/50 in the back?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
80mph is pretty damn fast going on a corner especially when its raining.. maybe try slowing down. honda have plenty of understeer and if your getting over steer.. check your shocks.. maybe they are blown. check bushings from the suspension to see if any has gone bad. check your springs. if u want to add more understeer to ur car.. just upgrade the front springs to higher spring rates. switching from 195 to 205 will not make much of a difference.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont forget tire pressure, that is always a huge factor in how the car handles.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mod list would help

Mask0rz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry I meant 100KMH - 120 KMH, that's..... near 60 - 70 MPH i think.

i own a koni sportkit. It has koni yellow shocks (near 2000 miles old )and blue koni springs.

Before i had these koni's i could run the corners with the same speed, but now i'm oversteering badly.

My car doesn't have camber or toe issues. It isn't lowered a lot with the kit. Still almost 1,5 inch till the tire disappears behind the fender.

I tried different tire pressures. I read that higher pressures in the back was resulting in less oversteer. That's what i'm doing now, but i can't test it. There are no roads where you can spin a round....

I also tried to get my front shocks more stiffer than the back. The settings are now F: 2 and R: 0 ( higher = stiffer rebound)

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whats ur camber setting? camber also effects over/under steer.

eg6_310

5+ Year Member
Over / understeer is a function of suspension geometry / set up more than any other factor. Using different tires to solve it preposterous.

Mask0rz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
whats ur camber setting? camber also effects over/under steer.
i don't have a camber kit. But it seems like the back is a little bit negative and the front doesnt seem to have any negative camber.

The front is a bit lower than the back. (got almost nothing in the trunk)

When it's raining the car is just extremly nervous when i exit a high speed corner. Normally on dry conditions there is no problem.

Is raising the tire pressures on the back an option to get less oversteer ?

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your shock setting is fine. stiffer front better understeer.. stiffer back for oversteer. but shocks does not effect much of oversteer and understeer its mostly in the springs and its spring rates.

if your having problems in the just the rain.. then its most likely the type of tire and maybe thread life that is causing your problem. what tires do u have? maybe try switching to wet friendly tires..

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Maybe you should slow down a little more when driving in the rain.

Mask0rz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anekin007 said:
your shock setting is fine. stiffer front better understeer.. stiffer back for oversteer. but shocks does not effect much of oversteer and understeer its mostly in the springs and its spring rates.

if your having problems in the just the rain.. then its most likely the type of tire and maybe thread life that is causing your problem. what tires do u have? maybe try switching to wet friendly tires..
Some cheap 'all condition' tires. I've had these cheap tires for a a lot of years. They aren't worn or having some damage.

have you read the article? It says things about the front which is diving when taking corners. I think my front rebound is too stiff and that's why my rear wheels are being lifted.

Koni's are only rebound adjustable, so i think i'm wrong with my settings.

Does it make sense what i'm saying?

well yeah, offcourse i'm slowing down when driving in the rain, it almost make me pee in my pants when i drive through easy corners at the highway.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i seen the dynos for koni yellow shocks.. u can check it out on their website i even posted up here but no one here really gives crap about suspension.. their thoery and chart is base on rwd cars.. the koni dyno shock is different from their specs shocks charts. and by the front being stiff.. there is no nose dip lifting up the back. i go by experience not by reading articles.. so adjusting ur rear stiffer then the back will just add oversteer.. i love oversteer even though i dont got too much.. its fun doing a 360 on a civic.

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if its in the rain, you are prolly just getting understeer to snap-oversteer. you are understeering through the turn, then the front wheels find grip (usually from sudden throttle changes, but could be from other things) car turns hard at that instant the fronts rip and the rears cant hold the sudden change and snap out of line into oversteer. this is more of a driver problem b/c you are in way exceeding the cars limits, but a better rubber setup should increase your limits and help control the situation.

ive seen people stagger the tire sizes for events like autox, but its always bigger up front/small back to help rotate the car. never done it, but i see bigger out back giving you more understeer problems than it would be worth just to correct this oversteer problem that can be avioded.

Mask0rz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could be right Bangin'.

maybe the best is to slow down during the rain and raise my tire pressures in the back and set it a bit lower in the front tires.

Anekin:
I think you are right 'bout the settings, and the article is for RWD cars.
Today I reduced my front shocks rebound by 1.

Settings are now F:1 R:0 , maybe it was just TOO stiff on the front

Mask0rz

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thnx for helping everyone.

it seems that i bought 2 pair of new tires a few months ago and i installed them on the front. No problems, but when i installed a stiffer suspension, the problems started to appear. The front was too grippy and the rear tires were hydroplaning.

ppl told me that it's best to install the new tires on the back, because it provides you more grip during corners.

gonna change them ASAP!

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you want the good tires up front. thats your drive/brake/steer wheels.