p0505 need help

Kaviq89

5+ Year Member
i got a CEL code p0505 so i changed my iacv and it still isnt fixed. the idle is around 1500 and then goes down to 1000 but then after a minute or so goes back up to 1500. before any of this happened my idle was around 700-800. anyone know what it might be? i changed the iacv his morning and still no CEL

thanks

RonJ

Banned
Check for disconnected vacuum hose.

If you use your hand to block the entire top of the throttle body when the engine is idling, does the engine die?

If you cover the IACV port inside the throttle body with your finger, does the idle settle down and stop fluctuating?

Kaviq89

5+ Year Member
If you cover the IACV port inside the throttle body with your finger, does the idle settle down and stop fluctuating?
i have a MT so my iacv is behind the intake manifold. so what port is it you are talking about?

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
if you look inside you throttle body, you will see a small hole that looks like it should go into the iacv. i think its the only opening on the inside of the thottle body before the throttle flap. i think.

Kaviq89

5+ Year Member
my CEL turned on i went to get the code and its the same one as before p0505.

RonJ

Banned
if you look inside you throttle body, you will see a small hole that looks like it should go into the iacv. i think its the only opening on the inside of the thottle body before the throttle flap. i think.
^Correct.

OP - do the tests I mentioned and report back the results.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I need to find a solution to the P0505 code too. I cleaned my IACV earlier this year and it was clean as a whistle. Put it back on, not too long after, P0505 code. Not too long after that, I started getting all sorts of idle problems and got multiple codes. Something about the foot pedal, another catalyst malfunction bank 1 or something code, codes just started popping out of no where. But every time I used an OBDII scanner to clear the codes, car is fine for a few weeks. And when the CEL comes on, about 30 minutes after they're on, car drives fine, no idle problems at all. Every once in a while the car will bog at 1500 when I lightly hold the gas and when I'm driving in gear and let off the gas, the car jerks real hard and jerks hard again when I hit the gas. So I turn off the car, turn it right back on, and it drives perfectly fine again. Idle goes back down to 7-900 where I set it before. It's mind boggling.

I checked for vacuum leaks but I don't have any. I tried unplugging the IACV and it does nothing, but the second I plug it back in, the idle starts bouncing between 1100 and 1500. So I turn off the car, turn it back on, and it's normal again. I don't really have money right now to get another IACV.

Kaviq89

5+ Year Member
^^^^my car did the something it would jerk hard when I would accelerate and start to bog when it got around 1500rpm. Which are the vacuum hoses??

teddyrussell

I need to find a solution to the P0505 code too. I cleaned my IACV earlier this year and it was clean as a whistle. Put it back on, not too long after, P0505 code. Not too long after that, I started getting all sorts of idle problems and got multiple codes. Something about the foot pedal, another catalyst malfunction bank 1 or something code, codes just started popping out of no where. But every time I used an OBDII scanner to clear the codes, car is fine for a few weeks. And when the CEL comes on, about 30 minutes after they're on, car drives fine, no idle problems at all. Every once in a while the car will bog at 1500 when I lightly hold the gas and when I'm driving in gear and let off the gas, the car jerks real hard and jerks hard again when I hit the gas. So I turn off the car, turn it right back on, and it drives perfectly fine again. Idle goes back down to 7-900 where I set it before. It's mind boggling.

I checked for vacuum leaks but I don't have any. I tried unplugging the IACV and it does nothing, but the second I plug it back in, the idle starts bouncing between 1100 and 1500. So I turn off the car, turn it back on, and it's normal again. I don't really have money right now to get another IACV.
u described my car perfectly, how the hell do we fix this, my buddy said we need a five sided allen key to walk out this screw on the iac. idk if that has anything to do with our problem but i cant figure it out cause idk where to find tht allen key, ron please help us!!!!