P1298, P0135 (O2 Sensor 1&2)

Bredsox24

Greetings! I need help, I have a problem with my 98 honda civic. To begin my car is producing these codes: P1298 (ELD Circuit High Input), P0135 (02 Sensor 1), and P0141( 02 Sensor 2). My car symptoms are pretty wacky, all the lights on the car are continuously pulsating, Speedometer goes crazy, and if I turn the car off during one of these episodes the car will not turn on again. Also when I drive it through these episodes it will eventually go away and run normally... Speedometer is fine, lights aren't pulsating etc. Anyways, reading forum after forum about people with similar problems it all pointed at a short in the VSS wire harness. Unfortunately, i didn't see anything wrong with my harness :???:. I want to get peoples opinions before i put money into unnecessary things. Thank you all for your input!
I posted some pictures of the harness:
[URL=http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/pfiguer3/media/Car%20pictures/20140201_135608_zpsc02c7db3.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/pfiguer3/media/Car%20pictures/2014-02-01160043_zpscb5b7759.png.html][/URL]
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/pfiguer3/media/Car%20pictures/2014-02-01155939_zpsb8a3cf81.png.html][/URL]

RonJ

Banned
Is fuse 15 blown?

Is the C115 connector cap popped out?

Bredsox24

Fuse 15 looks fine
and the C115 connector looks exactly the way it is in the picture. I didn't check if the cap was popped out, I just assumed that it didn't go in any further. Ill check tomorrow morning.

RonJ

Banned
If you reset the ECU, do all the codes return?

If you turn the key from off to ON(II) (engine off), does the charging system light in the cluster turn on and stay on?

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont ever just look at a fuse and assume it is ok. i recommend a test light, power probe, multimeter. i would check your grounds especially the one on the thermostat housing.

Bredsox24

Sorry about the long reply, been out of the country.

How are you resetting the ECU?

Do you have a multimeter?
I used a multimeter. Could a short cause the battery to drop voltage below 8 once the car engine is off?

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFlame

The TSB 99-029 says:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MIL Is On With Blown Fuse 15

SYMPTOM
The MIL is on with a DTC 20 (electrical load detector), DTC 41 (primary heated oxygen sensor), or DTC 17 (vehicle speed sensor). Fuse 15 in the under-dash fuse box is blown.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what do the following acronyms stand?
MIL
DTC

Thank YOU!!!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For what do the following acronyms stand?
MIL
DTC

Thank YOU!!!
MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light/Lamp (Synonym for CEL)

DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code.

Google is your friend with stuff like this.

Bredsox24

Well for some reason the CEL came off. I began to search for a short along the wire harness but failed but when I returned to check on fuse 15 like everyone advised and surprisingly it was blown. It had to have happened while i was searching along the wire harnesses because my first step in trying to diagnose my car was to look at all my fuses and make sure they were good (using a multimeter). I replaced it expected for it to blow again but it never did and my CEL was gone. I even double checked with my OBDII and nothing. Im happy that it was fixed but I don't have that security knowing that I fixed it and prevented the problem from reoccurring. We'll see, Ill give it two weeks and update you guys. I appreciate the help and all the tips, Thanks! =)

DarkFlame

MIL - Malfunction Indicator Light/Lamp (Synonym for CEL)

DTC - Diagnostic Trouble Code.

Google is your friend with stuff like this.
Thanks for the update, and especially for tolerating the fact that my Google search did not turn up what I considered to be a correct answer within the context of this thread. ;)