P1456 EVAP Sys Leak Detected (Fuel Tank)

SoundZman

5+ Year Member
CEL came on a couple of days ago, went down to autozone to pull code and came up with P1456. I have noticed a fuel smell since I got the car.

Where do I start with this? Is it possible to have an incorrect gas cap, I thought they were all the same size? The reason I ask, it was pressure tested a month ago during emissions test and passed.

SoundZman

5+ Year Member
Not too sure if anyone's interested but I feel it may be able to help someone else out.

So I replaced the gas cap, fuel filter and check for leaks at the fuel regulator = no help. So I picked up a hand vacuum pump also used to bleed break line solo. I used this tool to vacuum test some evap valves. I first grounded out a pin at the ECU to test EVAP Vent Shut Valve = passed. Next I tested the EVAP Canister to see if it would hold vacuum = no. Next I moved to the EVAP Purge Control Valve, I check vacuum from the valve to the canister with the engine cold then with hot = no vac. Next I check voltage to the Purge Valve harness, pin 1 to 2 = +0.5V*** (this should be +12 or battery voltage). Then I checked pin 1 to chaise ground = +12V. Last thing I checked was what I believe to be supply voltage at the ECU (pins A15 to A10) which was tested to match battery voltage.

So what seems to be happening here is the EVAP Purge Valve is not getting enough voltage to energize/open to supply vacuum from the intake manifold, which recirculates the excess gas fumes.

According to the Service Manual this indicates an bad ECU....well at least I know what's going on now.

SoundZman

5+ Year Member
So I was thinking about this over night. I can ground out the negative side the circuit and that will leave the Purge Valve open anytime the ignition is on. Any ideas if this will cause ever more issues?

Also I went down to my local Honda dealership and got a quote of over $600 for a new ECU, well if I ground out the negative to complete the circuit the valve works (stays open) or fork out $600 for a guarantee part. On the other hand I could buy a $100 ECU off Ebay????