crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a few questions regarding ECU options for my car:

-Could a P28 ECU work with my Y8?

-If so, what would I have to buy/do to make it work?

-And how would it benefit my car?

I've read on threads about this, but I never can get a straight answer out of it. And there's an ad on Craigslist for a virgin P28 for $90 and an OBD 2 to OBD 1 jumper harness for $50. I'm wondering if I should go for it. Sorry if it's a little noobish of a question, I'm just trying to learn(: Any help would be grand.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have a 96-98 you need an OBD2a- OBD1 jumper
if you have a 99-00 you need an OBD2b- OBD1 jumper

the ecu will work, and will lower your vtec point slightly... but better yet, you can have that p28 chipped and tuned to get more power.

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
yes it would work have a mini me swap and i have p28 ecu....now how it would benefit your car im not sure...now what you would need for it to work would be the obd2 to obd1 harnnes. becouse your car is a obd2 car and the p28 is a obd1 ecu

mcivice199_6x

5+ Year Member
thats what i thought this guy posted he had a obd2 p28 for an auto for sale? come out of an 95 del sol si. i sat there and thought that p28 were only obd1? so he just may have miss typed but thats fine i was just checking to be sure that i was right and it was a obd1 p28:???:

RHD_Joe

The only advantage I would see in running a p28 on a Y8 would be the possibility of tuning if you ever had power add ons.

RHD_Joe

Oh and the last question a p28 auto would not be able to run a 1996 dx auto because an obd2 auto trans does not have a kick down cable so the 96 dx runs the kick down cable electronically. OBD1 is manual kickdown cable. P28 wouldn't know what to do.

mcivice199_6x

5+ Year Member
is there any way around it. i will have it chipped with crome will they be able to do anything then before i pay to do that?