p28 for d16y8???

thornroun

blackcivic
5+ Year Member
hi people i was thinkin and looking for p28 chip, will it work on my d16y8 if it does how much and where can i get it for a 98 civic ex?

please let me know thanks..

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
huh? you want to put a chipped P28 in your 98 EX? you will need a conversion harness and the chipped ecu, how much? probably under $200. But why? you going to boost or something?

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
obd1 conversion harness....and the chip like frodo said...

and a dyno tune....i wouldn't do it unless its mildly built....this meaning being able to rev higher and with a F/ I application example ....turbo/supercharger...or nitrous...if your really set on it...at least build the head...and then think bottom end...like if you want low comp pistons for boost or high comp for N/A...then comes into play the headgasket and if you want to mill the head over for N/A also....

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well if your asking if you can just put a p28 chip in your stock y8 ecu the answer is no. You would need to swap in the hole ecu which is a p28 and you don't need to chip it in order to run it. All you need is a obd2a- obd1 harness. Your looking at about $60 for the harness and $100 for the ecu. Look on the forums or ebay for both. You can run the ecu if your stock but you won't see any performance gains, your better off using your stock ecu. Most people that run a different ecu is because they either have a turbo/SC or are N/A but have upgraded internals and they need the p28 in order to be able to tune it. Also in my opinion chips suck get hondata or crome that way you can tune the car and get some real hp gains.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you have to chip the p28 to tune it with crome ... so how do chips suck?

thornroun

blackcivic
5+ Year Member
thanks for the reply guys, i really need to know more and i was thinkin of boosting it, but its outta my budget now
thanks again

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Drackonn said:
because you can buy chips, that say they are mugen or spoon, and do pretty much nothin for you...

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Drackonn said:
With crome you tune the chip to your specific mods. Most chips like the ones you find on ebay and like stated above fake mugen and spoon, etc chips are tuned for maybe different cams than you are running or any number of different mods you have. All that will come of it will be a blown engine if you are not carefull. I guess I should of been more specific and said pre programmed chips suck.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
turboex17 said:
With crome you tune the chip to your specific mods. Most chips like the ones you find on ebay and like stated above fake mugen and spoon, etc chips are tuned for maybe different cams than you are running or any number of different mods you have. All that will come of it will be a blown engine if you are not carefull. I guess I should of been more specific and said pre programmed chips suck.
lol - that makes sense I know about all the fake chips and that - I was just confused - I get what your saying now - I agree =)