paint or not to paint

mule

5+ Year Member
alright i am thinking of selling my civic. and the paint is in less than perfect shape. and i was wondering if i should do the cheapo $2-300 paint job, and then take to a dealer and trade it off.

go ahead and flame if you wish. but in the end i am looking for honest answers about return on investment. so without new paint i could probably sell my 96 EX coupe for $2500- $2800 and with the paint could probably sell it for $3500 (or more)

other than the paint the car is in normal condition considering it has 147K miles on it.

thanks

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think you should paint it if you have time. if your looking for a quick sell. sell as is. i would paint it if i were you.

mule

5+ Year Member
what is the name of the national chain that does the paint on the cheap, mayco....is that right?

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
macco i think. some like em some dont.

mule

5+ Year Member
yeah not one in my area - typical

thanx knightxrider1 for your resonses.

anyone else have any thoughts

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Maaco is how its spelt..hah

Anyway...i've seen some great jobs done by Maaco, i've also seen some horrible one. You do get what you pay for. The half presidential seems to be the way to go.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i got my moms fender painted on her corolla by maaco, it was good for about a year and now the clear is starting to peel =(

ZachUA

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got my old truck painted by one of those cheap paint places and they didn't even tape off the inner fender wells or remove the cb antenna . Needless to say I had overspray all inside the fender wells, and a blue antenna.

Suanico

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Maaco is how its spelt..hah

Anyway...i've seen some great jobs done by Maaco, i've also seen some horrible one. You do get what you pay for. The half presidential seems to be the way to go.
i agree if you have someone do the body work, and you do most of the making yourself and pay for atleast 1 clear you'll be strait

2fast

Internationally known
5+ Year Member
Or you can bring it to our garage in texas and I'll do a profesional job for $400 for club cicivic members! Good?

JDMcivicsi

getting back in the game
5+ Year Member
I got my old truck painted by one of those cheap paint places and they didn't even tape off the inner fender wells or remove the cb antenna . Needless to say I had overspray all inside the fender wells, and a blue antenna.
why do you have a cb antenna on a civic??:???:

PICKLED

El mero mero Aguacatero
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Or you can bring it to our garage in texas and I'll do a profesional job for $400 for club cicivic members! Good?
Professional paint job and $400 don't go in the same sentence. OP, if you're selling the car, Maaco is just fine...just tape it yourself.

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Professional paint job and $400 don't go in the same sentence. OP, if you're selling the car, Maaco is just fine...just tape it yourself.
it can if you're a privateer trying to help out some people.

mule

5+ Year Member

if i were keeping the car, than i would think about it. but since im selling it im not gonna drive 1000 or so miles to get a paint job. thanks for the offer.

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would go ahead and get it painted, I painted my 02 for $500 before I sold it, cause the paint had tons of scratches and was coming off from a bad paint job before, and it ended up working out real good when it came time to sell it.