Paint

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Would a flat black or satin black paint job be practical for a daily driven car? Or are those finishes more for show cars?

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Who cares how other people think, do what you like.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've just read some folks say that these finishes are very difficult to keep looking good, and any fingerprints show up really badly.

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
personally i think they LOOK best on lambos and porsches and really extreme-bodied cars but i don't know anything about the practicality of it.

i'd imagine that any grease from your fingers would be a pain and without a clear coat to protect the color, i'd also be willing to bet that it won't hold up as well over time.

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i read that flat black is difficult to keep nice too. Stay clear imo

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my paint right now. I don't have much $$ and the paint is getting pretty bad. The roof is heavily oxidized and the paint is just old and dull in general. Some folks say that you can get a decent flat or satin black paint job for cheap or do it yourself, but I dunno. I'm just looking for some opinions and thoughts on the matter. Thanks for all the replies.

crazymx6

5+ Year Member
there should be a clear coat on a flat black or satan black car, the only diffrence is that the clear has been matted down to get the desired effect of flatness.

so really if its a quality paint job it should be just as easy to care for as any other.

but as for black its the hardest color to keep looking like showroom is probly the best way to put it.

black shows all

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Huh. So apparently flat black covers imperfections really well, but the paint itself is difficult to keep looking good.

crazymx6

5+ Year Member
ya you just have to do a real good job with prep if the moulding is real pitted and s**t use some primer first sand with 600 grit and re paint and should look like new

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So would it be possible to get a good looking paint job if I sanded the car down, primered, spray painted, and clear coated it? I'm talking doing a quality rattle can job, all the steps, not just throwing some paint at it.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
flat black would be fine...there is nothing special about it. You have nothing to worry about.

You probably won't get the same effect out of a rattle can because it simply doesn't compare to a HVLP gun.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks guys, so now I need to find someone with a spray gun.

TokyoCivic

ショーン
5+ Year Member
my friend has a flat black miata and it is a pain in the ass to keep clean. he always gets dirt stickin to it and pollen also. if i was you i would go glossy and then put a clear coat over it. i did it for my car and it turned out great. but good luck to you man, painting is a killer sometimes

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks man, I just need to get ahold of a sprayer and some time now.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
rino line that s**t yo :thumbs up:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Would a flat black or satin black paint job be practical for a daily driven car? Or are those finishes more for show cars?
The problem with paints like this is they can look dirty fairly easily. As you said, fingerprints will also show up easily. If you keep the car outside, I would not recommend it.

Flat black paint jobs in particular can look like total ass unless the car is kept in otherwise great condition.
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my paint right now. I don't have much $$ and the paint is getting pretty bad. The roof is heavily oxidized and the paint is just old and dull in general. Some folks say that you can get a decent flat or satin black paint job for cheap or do it yourself, but I dunno. I'm just looking for some opinions and thoughts on the matter. Thanks for all the replies.
You say your car has oxidation and is "old and dull"... That can be detailed off.

My car's paint is just as old as yours and it IS NOT dull in the least. Mine is also a 1998.

Huh. So apparently flat black covers imperfections really well, but the paint itself is difficult to keep looking good.
Any textured surface will hide imperfections on the car. Just like orange peel helps hide little dents.
rino line that s**t yo :thumbs up:
*Rhino. ;)

(I only correct it because I really didn't get what you were saying until I read the response post.)

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks NOFX, I'll try to post pics of my roof tomorrow so you all can see what it looks like. Then you can advise whether it's salvageable or not. Again, thanks for all the advise guys=)

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah...painting can be a trial and error process to get right.

Be sure to buy extra supplies, just in case...