painting plastic?

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i know i know, you think im goin to color bomb a civic....negative. just have some faded interior peices that i want to "refresh"....looking to what you guys have found doesnt work and DOES. HELP with prep and finishing

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I bought this Duplicolor Plastic paint. I got it from my parts store. It is really nice. It is holding up really well.

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
I'm actually painting my Interior black and red atm. I'm using some Krlon PLastic paint I bought from Autozone at like $7 a can. 3 or 4 coats of paint + 2 or 3 coats of clear looks good and the paint hasnt chipped off (yet?). They do come out kind of shiny though, but since I'm going for all around tints I don't think it'll be a big problem.

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i used that plastic paint from Wally-world (walmart) and it has chipped like a son b***h. with the dupli color adherer it works well as a primer, with all other primers i had a problem with flaking chipping and overall uneveness. but i alo didnt clear it well. i have been looking into clear coats more as a protector more than a "shiny finish"... but thanks for the help

Zaiber

5+ Year Member
i used that plastic paint from Wally-world (walmart) and it has chipped like a son b***h. with the dupli color adherer it works well as a primer, with all other primers i had a problem with flaking chipping and overall uneveness. but i alo didnt clear it well. i have been looking into clear coats more as a protector more than a "shiny finish"... but thanks for the help
I too use clear for the protection and not the gloss. I actually prefer matte and satin a lot more.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
First off

Don't buy any paint that you can find at wal-mart. Duplicolor looks alright but....there is better paints that you can find.

Look up SEM paint. Best paint for the best OEM finish

93Civic-Ex

**Rockin' The EJ**
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here in memphis we have a Color Match paint store and they sell a plastic paint not sure of the brand but ill look next time I go in but it is made to resist chipping and scratching and comes out semi-gloss which would be closer to the factory finish.

Like I said I am unsure of brand but ill find out and let ya know.

haascnc

5+ Year Member
ive used that fusion spray paint expecially for plastics....i bought it in "hammered" texture, charcoal/dark grey color....
no sanding just removed and cleaned with a sos or a scour pad, let dry then painted

it was the upper pieces i painted.

all the other interior was cleaned using turtle wax F12 stuff.

jus my $.02