painting valve cover

2000sliverEX

i just bought my 2000 ex so im kinda new to this and i wanna start cleaning it up. i see a lot of people paint there valve covers and i wanna do it. i was wondering how hard is what do i have to do to remove the valve cover. what type of paint do i use, can i just use regular spray paint? and advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

ceegeeaye

I used regular spray paint bought from Kragens. Make sure its 500 degree's or close. I used it and it still lasts.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get something to degrease it, let it dry and get duplicolor high temp engine enamel from kragen. That's what I did and it looks sweet.

Heres some pics of the type of paint/primer/clear coat I used, can't speak for the acryli-clean but the pain't great.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I didn't really sand it, if you use the self etching primer in the above pic you should be fine, and I didn't want to sand it afterwards, only thing I sanded were the letters to make them silver again, you can see it in my build thread, link in the sig.

2000sliverEX

alright cool ill look for that when im picking up the paint. ganna be getting a lot also painting my wheels haha

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just sand it down, then used finer sand paper. then i bought 3 bottles, all with 500 degrees capabilities. one was primer, second was black, and the third was clear glossy enamel. after i paint the valve cover black, i had chap stick smothered on hte HONDA label. then i coated the valve cover with the enamel. it made everything shinny and glossy.

wrinkle paint is popular too.

raf_glez

If u dont wanna sand anything..just use Aircraft Paint remover..it will remove EVERYTHING!!..u should sand just to make sure no mayor bumps are bothering..

BTW..after clearing it...u should (imo) polish it..to make the clear shine like it should.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also, before i had install my header i had painted the exaust mainfold cover black. it looked good too.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you have the resources to sandblasted, go for it, this is the best choice.