Painting your Valve Cover

DizzyRoc88

platano ranger
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm in the middle of painting my valve cover. and just realized this thread was here. i'll post up pics when im done with it. mine is being painted black though

-and yes aircraft remover does burn like a mofo. gloves are good

CivicKid95

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TopDawgg said:
here is what you do.
-take off valve cover and all the gaskets. (if they gaskets are cracked or look like they need to be replaced now is the time to do it. i think the kit is like $20 a a car parts place.
-degreas it
-have a tooth brush and rubber gloves on hand
-ware gloves when you are using the paint stripper (s**t will burn you good)
-pour on paint remover to the valve cover
-ues the tooth brush to get in the hard to reach places.
- a garden hose to rinse off old paint and paint stripper

after all the paint is gone just make sure it is nice and dry and then add the new paint

-lay down the first coat and only get the hard to reach places first.
-let it dry for 15 to 20 min
-lay down aother coat all over the valve cover and spaint over everything you just did also.
(even go over the DOCH VTEC HONDA MOTOR CO. s**t also)
-after the 3 coats have dryed. wet it with water and keep it wet and lightly sand with 1000 grit paper.
-dry
-3 more coats-after the 3 coats have dryed. wet it with water and keep it wet and lightly sand with 1000 grit paper.
- bring all lettering back down to the aluminum. just make sure you don't go over the main part of the valve cover.
-dry
- bring all lettering back down to the aluminum. just make sure you don't go over the main part of the valve cover.
-another 3 more coats-after the 3 coats have dryed. wet it with water and keep it wet and lightly sand with 1000 grit paper.
-dry

-ok now you are going to use the 1500 grit paper on it.
-just keep it wet
-after that is smooth (no orange peal effect) move to the 2000 grit
-do the same thing.
-clean it all off and then get out the rubbing compound. rub it in and then wipe it off.
-wax
you are done

DO NOT CLEAR COAT. the heat will make it peal off

nice. what rubbing compound , though? and then regular wax such as meguires?