people in the military.

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am thinking about joining the USAF and am wondering what some of you guys think about the military and what it has to offer. A am doing some research but am wondering what real people that are in or have been in the military think/ thought of it. stupid douchebags that are going to flame need need not apply.

Jimmy2times

White, middle-class
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for all the servicemen that respond, thank you.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for all the servicemen that respond, thank you.
with every male in my family in a branch of our nations military, i can hardly wait for my turn in the Marines in April.

i wanna thank everyone who serves, whether its cook in the navy, or F-16 pilot, thank you :cool:

Big_Mull_Style

none shall pass
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have always wanted to join the Army or something but I'm too much of a pussy.

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been wanting to join the USAF for awhile, especially because I live right by Davis Monthan AFB. I was told that they don't want anyone with just a high school graduation so I'm not completely sure about it.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've been wanting to join the USAF for awhile, especially because I live right by Davis Monthan AFB. I was told that they don't want anyone with just a high school graduation so I'm not completely sure about it.
how about the people who join the service so they can afford a college degree? like myself :oops:

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
how about the people who join the service so they can afford a college degree? like myself :oops:
I actually just looked it up and it says your good to go with a diploma. I guess some people didn't want me to join a branch of the military *cough* parents *cough*.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I actually just looked it up and it says your good to go with a diploma. I guess some people didn't want me to join a branch of the military *cough* parents *cough*.
i know how that is.

mom wants me to join, but to work on trucks or computers all day. safe stuff. she wont sign frontline papers.

my dad (ex ranger) is 100% for me to enlist. hes happy to sign my front papers :twisted:

sprmario

Mario H.
5+ Year Member
as long as u enlist when your 18, your parents cant say s**t about what you can or cant do. I was in the USAF i was an "1A3" which is radio communications on the AWACS. I think the USAF is best as far as living conditions, like not sharing a room with someone. Im out now but still have a few friends that are still in, most of them are leaving soon, but its an experience that none of us will ever forget. And you will meet people in there that you will consider family.

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was in the Navy for 4 years (Gulf War I), and my brother has been in the USAF for about 17 or so. He went in as enlisted, and after 13 years he went officer. Now he is a Captain. The Air Force takes care of their people. They have the best facilities be far, and many good career fields to choose from. Military is a great choice imo.

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks for all your input and thanks to all who serve( forgot to mention that in my first post). im not sure of when to join, plus one of my friends just went off to basic so i'll ask him some questions when he gets back.

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for all your input and thanks to all who serve( forgot to mention that in my first post). im not sure of when to join, plus one of my friends just went off to basic so i'll ask him some questions when he gets back.
What type of work are you interested in?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My dad served 21 years in the Air Force. And growing up on Military bases, its definately different living than civilian living. As far as actually serving in the air force, I cant tell you how it is. I never really heard any complaints about work from my father though. :what:

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What type of work are you interested in?
i am looking at being an air traffic control, mechanic, military police, pilot(prob not realistic thought) or whatever else i can do. still looking into it and the jobs that are there.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can tell you about being a 19K (armored crewman) in the Army.

Everything centers around the tank. "Horse, Saddle, then Rider". That means you take care of your tank and equipment before you take care of yourself.

Crew integrity is everything. Loader, driver, gunner, and tank commander are a team. Any differences you have with another crewmember must be forgotten when you mount up.

your track is your home, your suit of armor, a physical extension of you and your crew. Respect it as such.

Your track is designed to kill. It's a job that it does very well. It is not partial and will kill you or someone in your crew if you get sloppy.

Field training excercises means:
Combat or gunnery excercises at 04:00 because that's allegedly when your enemy is at his weakest

Breakfast:" Hot A's" Scrambled eggs that have been turned green by the aluminum in the mermite cans and undercooked bacon or overcooked black sausage patties. Sometimes it's SOS. "Hot A" is a minomer as they are never hot. "A" might apply though as they typically taste like ass.

Track maintenance and more excercises

Lunch: MRE. Circa 1988. dehydrofrozen pork pattie or chicken a-la scratch.

Dinner: Tray rations. Sometimes these are actually still hot but moving around 60+ tons of death machines stirs up a lot of dust so you inevitibly get some grit. That's also when the flies find you.

Hour or two of sleep then radio watch or track maintenance and more excercises....

In spite of all this, it still beats being in garrison where the REMFs will have you do all their jobs for them unless you can escape to the motor pool to work on your track.

You do get less micromanagement than you would in the Navy or Air Force. I've trained alongside the Marines and they live pretty much like we do except they have to take s**t from much less qualified Navy personnel regularly. And Marines must practice D&C a lot because those MF'ers can march well.

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i am looking at being an air traffic control, mechanic, military police, pilot(prob not realistic thought) or whatever else i can do. still looking into it and the jobs that are there.
Wow, a pretty wide range of jobs! I believe the best way to be a pilot is to go officer right from the start. MY brother started out as an aviation electrician, but now he's probably more like a maintenence officer.

My advice? Get everything that is promised to you in writing. Believe nothing your recruiter says unless you can get it in writing! How are your ASVAB scores?

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you want to be a pilot, you will have to commission.

I am personally doing Navy, and looking to become either a surface warfare or submarine officer. Don't believe in recruiters... but then again I never had to deal with one because enlisting was never an option. Look here, follow your heart and do what you think is right for you. This military thing isn't for everyone, make sure you know you want to do this before getting into it for something stupid like money problems.

Make sure you can at least pass the PFT and make sure you get a high asvab score (meaning, study hard). Max out the PFT score, and get a high Asvab and you can get almost any job.

SilverEXCoupe

Registered lUser
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am personally doing Navy, and looking to become either a surface warfare or submarine officer. Don't believe in recruiters... but then again I never had to deal with one because enlisting was never an option. Look here, follow your heart and do what you think is right for you. This military thing isn't for everyone, make sure you know you want to do this before getting into it for something stupid like money problems.
It's up to you, but I highly recommend surface warfare. The submariners are just a different breed. I worked with many of them, and most are somewhat quirky and different to say the least. If you would fit in at a Star Trek convention you might like it. There's no women in a submarine, and personally I didn't mind having women on my ship. That gave me options when I was in a foreign port. Foreign or domestic? Hmm...