perfect timing for suspensions?

dsprimal

Banned
So I dropped my car off at the mechanic to get new break pads and in return they said my struts are shot and my suspension is in bad shape since they haven't been replaced since the year of make (1998). they added that since the suspensions are blown that it ended up causing the suspensions to rub into my rotors? or something like that? which resulted in needing my rotors replaced? so I told them to just replace the rotors + break pads for 398.00 and hold off on the suspensions (which woulda made my total spending today 900 bucks!) since i was planning on buying some tien s-types or possibly koni yellows.

i've been surfing around other forums and i came across an amazing "stance" thread on honda-tech.com. which showed a pic of the owners car + specs of the rims, suspension, tire size etc. So after surfing through i've noticed that Skunk 2's are way too low (2 inch drops) while tiens and koni yellows are about 1.5 - 1.7" drops? the pictures just showed how much lower skunk 2's would make my car and i definitely do NOT want my car sitting that low. but those who had tiens or konis were lowered just the way i would like my own civic to be. so with all this said, what are your thoughts on Tiens vs koni's? any other reliable companies for a reasonable price?

thanks!

ps - NOOBIE question but when i was told my struts were shot. would i need to buy those or should w/e suspension kit i decide to buy come with everything needed for my messed up suspension?

dsprimal

Banned
what is the only component needed to lower your car? only the springs right? cause i looked into a full Tein suspension kit and it was almost $1,000. i need to replace my struts. so if i get stock struts and just replaced the springs. i can lower it still right? or do i need the whole kit?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Might as well get the whole coilover kit which is the shocks and springs. $400 is a lot for brakes and rotors. You didn't know how to do it or what?

CodySchraad

i came across an amazing "stance" thread on honda-tech.com.

Were is this thread? Can't seem to find it. Link?

dsprimal

Banned
do i NEED aftermarket Shocks to lower my car? or can i lower my car with just springs (Tein s-tech to be specific). cause if thats the case i'll save the excess cost for aftermarket shocks and just get rinky dink struts and throw springs on it. benefits to aftermarket struts? thanks!

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2904182 for the stance thread!

dsprimal

Banned
Has anyone ever bought anything from clubcivics store? I noticed the koni yellows+ GC coilover combo. totalled to like $740.00 (any place i can get these 2 cheaper?). But before I go ahead and buy them. How good are these 2 together? anyone have these? and how low can you drop your car? i want to go at least 1.5".

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
they added that since the suspensions are blown that it ended up causing the suspensions to rub into my rotors? or something like that? which resulted in needing my rotors replaced? so I told them to just replace the rotors + break pads for 398.00 and hold off on the suspensions (which woulda made my total spending today 900 bucks!) since i was planning on buying some tien s-types or possibly koni yellows.

i've been surfing around other forums and i came across an amazing "stance" thread on honda-tech.com. which showed a pic of the owners car + specs of the rims, suspension, tire size etc. So after surfing through i've noticed that Skunk 2's are way too low (2 inch drops) while tiens and koni yellows are about 1.5 - 1.7" drops? the pictures just showed how much lower skunk 2's would make my car and i definitely do NOT want my car sitting that low. but those who had tiens or konis were lowered just the way i would like my own civic to be. so with all this said, what are your thoughts on Tiens vs koni's? any other reliable companies for a reasonable price?

thanks!

ps - NOOBIE question but when i was told my struts were shot. would i need to buy those or should w/e suspension kit i decide to buy come with everything needed for my messed up suspension?
The dealer may have been yanking your chain a bit... Your suspension may be blown, but that has absolutely nothing to do with wearing your brakes. Your brakes could be worn down, but it's just not related to your suspension.. But w/e you got new brakes so not much you can do there.

Reading the "stance" thread on any forum is a bad idea. So much misinformation and potentially dangerous stuff going on that idiots kids do to be cool. Here is a good start for researching suspension setups: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=206087

As it says in that thread I linked, Tein's are OK but wayy overpriced for what you get. I personally would never buy anything from them. The Koni's are just shocks and they are very well known and have a great reputation. I have these shocks on 2 of my cars that I race and they are great. You can go lower than 1.7" with the Koni shocks, just depends on what springs/coilovers you get and their spring rate. The Skunk2 stuff I'd stay away from. The company itself has made a bad name for themselves and their suspension products just aren't great in general.

Koni shocks matched with Ground-Control coilovers is a very popular setup both for your average enthusiast and also your hardcore racers. You just need to do your homework with it. It's not quite as simple as slapping it on and driving.

Another good company is Progress. They make a great coilover (CS-2) that is VERY reasonably priced (~$550 shipped) and Progress has a great reputation.

what is the only component needed to lower your car? only the springs right? cause i looked into a full Tein suspension kit and it was almost $1,000. i need to replace my struts. so if i get stock struts and just replaced the springs. i can lower it still right? or do i need the whole kit?
Technically the only thing you need to lower your car are lowering springs or coilover sleeves. But, in most cases it is always a good idea to replace the shocks with some performance aftermarket shocks. Your OEM shocks are not really designed to be lowered on.

The Tein S.Techs are OK to use with stock shocks, but ideally you'll want to upgrade. And in your situation, you need new shocks anyways so you might as well upgrade the shocks anyways. So yes, you would want to buy the whole kit.

do i NEED aftermarket Shocks to lower my car? or can i lower my car with just springs (Tein s-tech to be specific). cause if thats the case i'll save the excess cost for aftermarket shocks and just get rinky dink struts and throw springs on it. benefits to aftermarket struts? thanks!

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2904182 for the stance thread!
Like mentioned, it is a good idea to upgrade your shocks, even with the Tein S.Techs. The benefit is that you'll get better performance out of your suspension and it'll work properly. It'll also likely last longer.

Has anyone ever bought anything from clubcivics store? I noticed the koni yellows+ GC coilover combo. totalled to like $740.00 (any place i can get these 2 cheaper?). But before I go ahead and buy them. How good are these 2 together? anyone have these? and how low can you drop your car? i want to go at least 1.5".
I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have bought from the clubcivic store. Havn't heard anything bad about it. The Koni sale that is going on is the best deal I've seen yet for them. I HIGHLY recommened getting them. One of the best shocks on the market for a damn good price. ~$740 is roughly what you'll pay at most places for that setup, actually a bit on the cheaper side. They are a great combination. I have this setup on both of the cars I race. One of them I've had on there for 4+ years with zero issues. It is an extremely popular setup for racing and if they can handle that abuse, you'll be fine on the streets. You can drop your car fairly low with these, but it really depends on the spring rates you choose. You can easily get a 1.5" drop with these but I wouldn't go lower than about 2.5" or so. Again, spring rates play an important role so do your homework.

dsprimal

Banned
just thought i'd bring this post back to life by saying my local mechanic offered to throw in my koni yellows/ GC's for "$500.00" LOOOOOOOL. another spot is offering "$270.00 with an alignment". I have friends who know ppl that can throw these in for dirt cheap. but im the kinda guy that thinks paying more gets you better service.

So my question is, how high are the possibilities of someone messing up my suspensions during the install? cause i live around a "hood" where i can find mechanics that'll throw them all in for like 100 bucks lol.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have friends who know ppl that can throw these in for dirt cheap. but im the kinda guy that thinks paying more gets you better service.

In the automotive world, paying more usually isnt wise. Many shops arent reputable & thrive on ripping off the "automotively-challenged". Find a mechanic you trust or one referred o you by a close friend.

BTW, I have Koni Str.t shocks with Tein S-Tech springs and Im thoroughly satisfied. I spent about $460 for it all brand new AND shipped. No "real" shop should charge you more than $250 to install all that unless something else needs replacing or repair.

FYI, Ive had Koni's before as well and theyre fantastic. Many may disagree, but coilovers are not worth it for a daily driver. The only good quality coilovers cost well over $1000. So just stick with changing the shocks & springs. Do NOT only change the springs as stock shocks cant handle lowered springs for long. and will bounce too much from not having the extra weight support.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
$400 for rotors and pads? Holy baby jesus have mercy!!! I wouldnt spend a PENNY more than $80 to do mine, and thats with parts!!!

I wish I had $400 to throw away on pads and rotors.

dsprimal

Banned
In the automotive world, paying more usually isnt wise. Many shops arent reputable & thrive on ripping off the "automotively-challenged". Find a mechanic you trust or one referred o you by a close friend.

BTW, I have Koni Str.t shocks with Tein S-Tech springs andIm thoroughly satisfied. I spent about $460 for it all brand new AND shipped. No "real" shop should charge you more than $250 to install all that unless something else needs replacing or repair.

FYI, Ive had Koni's before as well and theyre fantastic. Many may disagree, but coilovers are not worth it for a daily driver. The only good quality coilovers cost well over $1000. So just stick with changing the shocks & springs. Do NOT only change the springs as stock shocks cant handle lowered springs for long. and will bounce too much from not having the extra weight support.
thanks man!! that was really helpful. Ok i'll consider the guy that offered to do it for $270.00. people on the forums were saying that ppl do suspension install for something cheap like $70-$100 bucks. idk how accurate that is.....lol

dsprimal

Banned
$400 for rotors and pads? Holy baby jesus have mercy!!! I wouldnt spend a PENNY more than $80 to do mine, and thats with parts!!!

I wish I had $400 to throw away on pads and rotors.
400 bucks is almost cost of sti brake job lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
yeaaa yeaaaaa, i've learned my lesson. will never step foot back into that place ever again. thats the same place that said they'll put my koni yellows/GC's in for $500 bucks....WHAT A JOKE. fool me once but not twice!!! but yeah, thanks for refreshing my memories. kinda feel like crap again for that money that coulda gone elsewhere.

but $270 sounds like a legit price for installing suspensions?

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
OP you can get yourself a really nice 150+ Craftsman tool set from Sears for $99 and do it yourself. It will have all the tools necessary for you to do it.
You have absolutely no idea how easy it is to do suspension on the 88-00 Civic chassis. If you want to DIY there is a TON of threads and I can walk you through it through PM if you'd like.

Seriously DO IT YOURSELF and with all the money you'd save on labor you can put towards a decent suspension set up.

I would recommend some Function and Form Type Ones. They go for about $600 shipped and although they arent the best set up, they ride amazing. Its a full shock and spring set up and its a great set up for street. Youll eventually want to lower it more, so you have the option to do so since its a coil over.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
And you MUST get an alignment after you get new shocks and springs!

dsprimal

Banned
OP you can get yourself a really nice 150+ Craftsman tool set from Sears for $99 and do it yourself. It will have all the tools necessary for you to do it.
You have absolutely no idea how easy it is to do suspension on the 88-00 Civic chassis. If you want to DIY there is a TON of threads and I can walk you through it through PM if you'd like.

Seriously DO IT YOURSELF and with all the money you'd save on labor you can put towards a decent suspension set up.

I would recommend some Function and Form Type Ones. They go for about $600 shipped and although they arent the best set up, they ride amazing. Its a full shock and spring set up and its a great set up for street. Youll eventually want to lower it more, so you have the option to do so since its a coil over.

I already have Ground Control Coilovers with my koni yellows lol. But i'll consider those for the future. and about the DYI. i'll PM you!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$270 is far more respectable to install shocks & springs. Depending on your region, repair costs may be more than in other regions. But someone charging $100 or so isnt a fairytale. Thats what I paid to install mine, but only because Im good friends with a shop owner and the mechanics.

And $400 for a brake job on a Civic is the equivalent of dropping the soap in jail & getting raped using salt as lubricant.

As for finding the parts at a good price, just get the part numbers for your vehicle and search online, including eBay. They had the best price for the Tein shocks when I looked. Do NOT only go by the listing titles because some people are ditditty & list incorrectly all the time.