Performance muffler. I hear no sound at all

sweetiff82

5+ Year Member
I bought a flowmaster performance muffler online. It was 70 dollars I believe. Its supposed to fit my honda civic ex. I luv my car. I just got it a week or so ago. Its a 2004 honda ex special edition-vtec.

I went and got the muffler installed.

Well I was in there for about 30 minutes. The guy comes out and is like,"Well...it isnt that loud. You are going to have to cut some of the resonator."

huh. Well it was 45 dollars for the installation.

I saw the guy weld it but I looked underneath the car and i see the flow master system welded underneath my car but the 3A racing tip is on top of it hooked up . the 3a racing tip mind u came with the car.

Did i just get ripped off? I mean 45 dollars isnt nothin but Im a girl lol and i dont know much about cars.

But i was wanting a nice deep sound. not too loud. I cant even hear it when im in my car and ive had a muffler on my old car before and could hear it.

Whats the deal?

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sounds strange.. seems you should hear something..You will need to remove the reonator..kinda acts as a 2nd muffler...which makes it quieter.. but still you should hear something... I say go back and castrate the guy lol.

sweetiff82

5+ Year Member
sounds strange.. seems you should hear something..You will need to remove the reonator..kinda acts as a 2nd muffler...which makes it quieter.. but still you should hear something... I say go back and castrate the guy lol.
lol yeah i was on 8th series http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/86950-performance-muffler-i-hear-no-sound-all-2.html#post2522439
post on accident and they had no clue either

its a 40 series flowmaster muffler so it should be loud i would have thought. i hear nothing

idk im just wondering if theres any people out there that have a honda civic ex 2004 that had a flowmaster muffler on and if they had to add anything to make a sound?

im a girl and clueless. car shops like to rip off women from what i see :(

idk what im going to have to do. have it unwelded and put back on by someone else? idk

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol yeah i was on 8th series http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/86950-performance-muffler-i-hear-no-sound-all-2.html#post2522439
post on accident and they had no clue either

its a 40 series flowmaster muffler so it should be loud i would have thought. i hear nothing

idk im just wondering if theres any people out there that have a honda civic ex 2004 that had a flowmaster muffler on and if they had to add anything to make a sound?

im a girl and clueless. car shops like to rip off women from what i see :(

idk what im going to have to do. have it unwelded and put back on by someone else? idk
Well, I have a 2004 LX. with a magnaflow exhaust. All I have it the cat on my car along with the muffler.
no resonator. Flowmaster should def give you a good sound tho. Is there a warranty on the work you had done? if so..see how long the warranty is and if possible I would keep driving for a few days..usually exahuast get louder once they settle in a bit.

sorry if im not really helping but im kinda stumped..Ill do some research for you

sweetiff82

5+ Year Member
Well, I have a 2004 LX. with a magnaflow exhaust. All I have it the cat on my car along with the muffler.
no resonator. Flowmaster should def give you a good sound tho. Is there a warranty on the work you had done? if so..see how long the warranty is and if possible I would keep driving for a few days..usually exahuast get louder once they settle in a bit.

sorry if im not really helping but im kinda stumped..Ill do some research for you
theres no warranty on the work done but it was cheap.
there is a warranty on the muffler i bought

yeah i heard clips from ex's on youtube and i could hear a sound so hm.
thanks for commenting

ill drive it for days and see what happens.
he said to clip the the resonator but i was just thinking he was just pulling my chain lol.

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
sorry but you should of searched around for sound clips of different exhausts, and asked before.
Not trying to be mean but my friend did the same thing when he got his car, went into a shop got a random ass no name muffler(fart can) and got it installed, not even knowing what it would sound like at all. and spent abut 90 dollars.

Your muffler might get louder as it breaks in. Better hope for that because if you wanted a deep tone it might even get quieter, you'd have to do some research on what you want change to, perferably a catback exhaust system. Flowmaster exhausts weren't made for hondas either.

sweetiff82

5+ Year Member
sorry but you should of searched around for sound clips of different exhausts, and asked before.
Not trying to be mean but my friend did the same thing when he got his car, went into a shop got a random ass no name muffler(fart can) and got it installed, not even knowing what it would sound like at all. and spent abut 90 dollars.

Your muffler might get louder as it breaks in. Better hope for that because if you wanted a deep tone it might even get quieter, you'd have to do some research on what you want change to, perferably a catback exhaust system. Flowmaster exhausts weren't made for hondas either.
nah you arent being mean but the hondas i seen on youtube specifically stated they put a flowmaster muffler on theirs and it sounded pretty good. i wasnt looking at any other exhaust systems. i specifically searched for flowmaster and honda in the youtube search engine.

yeah everyone says catback systems but ive heard people with nice sounding mufflers without it. idk. i should hear something

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah everyone says catback systems but ive heard people with nice sounding mufflers without it. idk. i should hear something

I have a friend with a Flowmaster on his Corolla S, just the muffler it sounds pretty good, i'm pretty sure he has no resonator.
Are you sure this muffler doesn't have a silencer on it of any kind on the tip?

sweetiff82

5+ Year Member
I have a friend with a Flowmaster on his Corolla S, just the muffler it sounds pretty good, i'm pretty sure he has no resonator.
Are you sure this muffler doesn't have a silencer on it of any kind on the tip?
nope it was open on both sides and even if it wasnt i would think the guy would have asked if i wanted the silencer off

this is so weird!

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah, it's you're resonator. Need to remove it if you want louder sound, but it'll probably become a lot louder than what you are expecting. Maybe not.

30-50 for the install they did is normal almost anywhere.

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
look under your car..you see the muffler..now about half way in the piping do you see another round object?? if so thats your resonator which needs to be removed.

sweetiff82

5+ Year Member
Yeah, it's you're resonator. Need to remove it if you want louder sound, but it'll probably become a lot louder than what you are expecting. Maybe not.

30-50 for the install they did is normal almost anywhere.
will they have to unweld the muffler to take off the resonator
lol see im clueless about cars

ok i drove it like an hour ago to check again and i kinda hear something but not really. when i merge on the highway to clock to 60 miles it sounds a little louder . but its very silent driving inside.
maybe it sounds louder on the outside than inside. i have no idea

i think u are right about the resonator though

sweetiff82

5+ Year Member
look under your car..you see the muffler..now about half way in the piping do you see another round object?? if so thats your resonator which needs to be removed.

i didnt look all that much just saw the flowmaster muffler welded onto my muffler tip.

ill look again

thanks!

hondagriff

Banned
Get some aftermarket headers. You'll hear one hell of a difference and a cold air intake makes it sound deeper too.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have a Magnaflow muffler on my '03 EX. I got it welded on by a shop. The original muffler tip is still on there for a reason, the muffler does not come with a muffler tip, so to make sure that the exhaust gases dont end up inside your rear bumper, they had to put the original tip back on. As for the lack of noise, my muffler isnt loud either until youre accelerating harder, you will also hear a much nicer and more noticable tone if you get an intake installed. I have an AEM intake and the Magnaflow muffler, and I love the way my car sounds. Good luck! And welcome!