performence mods

Elliot77

I have a 1999 civic coupe ive been looking into a few things to do to it but really want some advice off others, i was looking at new carbs and cams but im unsure on what ones to get/if thats what i should be looking at first

heres what it looks http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/civicp.jpg/

also if theres anything visual you think can be done say =)

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
If fast is what you want, a swap is what you need. A civic is an economy car, the single cam d series is just a grocery getter, nothing more. So without boost, it will be not worth building. Look into a b16 or b18

Elliot77

yeah i was looking into a swap but its alot of effort, i was just wondering if theres much you can do to the singal cam ones to just beef them up abit

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
Bolt ons dont do much, you will have to go with boost if you want to stay with a single cam. Even that will take lots of effort.

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
I have a 1999 civic coupe ive been looking into a few things to do to it but really want some advice off others, i was looking at new carbs and cams but im unsure on what ones to get/if thats what i should be looking at first

heres what it looks http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/civicp.jpg/

also if theres anything visual you think can be done say =)

wtf civics dont have CARBS if your meaning carberator you are completely wrong

CO671

Registered VIP
There is no carburetor, ITB's require tuning and $$$$$$ which isn't worth it.

The TRUE performance mod for a single-cam d16 is a turbo. I/H/E do nothing but +15 HP at best (and that's probably spending around $600).
If you think you can get a lot of power out of the d-series without major modifications, you were greatly misinformed and should just sell it for another car.
Even a new cam doesn't do much.

If you don't think you're going to be able to spend $1,500 - $3,000 to turbo your D16, or drop in a B-series then don't. You save much more money if you go straight for the goal.

upnsmoke

Please explain how. I would REALLY like to see why you think this can be done.
For entertainment purposes only:
Nearly anything can be done, though some things should not be. I am certain I could make or have someone make a custom intake manifold to run a 350 Holley. I don't think any of the MPFI manifolds on the Civics could or would be worth modifying to run a carb. The ignition may or may not be cooperative with the fuel injection disabled. You may get away with just running an MSD 6al box or the like, should you just need an alternative to the stock ignition module. You will need lower fuel pressure for the carb. A different regulator will likely not be enough. You would probably need a different pump, which would almost certainly require custom fitment to the tank. Even if you used an inline pump, you still need a pickup. You could switch to an aftermarket fuel cell, bearing in mind that it will require some custom work to fit to the car. You will not make as much power as the car does with MPFI, all else being equal, though you may get close. You will certainly use more fuel, and would likely have some trouble passing emissions. I think you would be nuts to actually do this, but it is fun to think about.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For entertainment purposes only:
Nearly anything can be done, though some things should not be. I am certain I could make or have someone make a custom intake manifold to run a 350 Holley. I don't think any of the MPFI manifolds on the Civics could or would be worth modifying to run a carb. The ignition may or may not be cooperative with the fuel injection disabled. You may get away with just running an MSD 6al box or the like, should you just need an alternative to the stock ignition module. You will need lower fuel pressure for the carb. A different regulator will likely not be enough. You would probably need a different pump, which would almost certainly require custom fitment to the tank. Even if you used an inline pump, you still need a pickup. You could switch to an aftermarket fuel cell, bearing in mind that it will require some custom work to fit to the car. You will not make as much power as the car does with MPFI, all else being equal, though you may get close. You will certainly use more fuel, and would likely have some trouble passing emissions. I think you would be nuts to actually do this, but it is fun to think about.
What about the ECU?

Also, civic distributors don't respond to well to aftermarket ignitions in most situations, and I don't know of much if any aftermarket distributors that run in the civics.

jhar_EK

word
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ha i had all the stuff to carb my b16...just decided to go a different route with the b after i k swapped my ej8 xD...was going to run two weber side draft carbs and custom cams with some huge lift!! it's been done more than you think...i've seen a carbed k..carbed b..carbed d. you guys need to broaden your horizons.