picking between 2 tire sizes? help

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
on my 99 si i got function form type 1 and i want to keep my stock si rims the stock tire size is 195/55/15 but the tires i have on it now are 205/55/15 im looking for better ride quality and theres only about 1" gap right now since i lowered it anyway is there a actual difference in handling between the two i've been playing with the link that was on here as a sticky and still dont really understand

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Taller tires will usually make the car feel more "wobbly" but will give more comfort. Lower profile tires make steering wheel movement feel sharper and more responsive but will give a harsher ride.

If you have a 15" wheel, I'd recommend 195/55 or 205/50. They will keep the speedo as accurate as possible (205/50 being a little less accurate while 195/55 being the stock size). You could always do 195/50, which is another popular size other than stock but that will throw your speedo off even more (3.3%).

Just search around (here or Google) and you should find plenty of images if looks is something you want to base your decision on.

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i want it beased off of comfort its my daily for now until i get the b20 in from hmotors but even then its gona be months before i finish that all motor set up so my goal is overall ride comfortable.....so if it makes the car more wobbley how is that comfort? and by wobble do you mean the bounce?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
By wobbly I mean that when you jerk the steering wheel back and forth, the car doesn't feel "firm" or "planted". Imagine driving an SUV. But then again it also depends on your suspension.

Taller tires will give a more comfortable ride than lower profile tires.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
I think a 195/50 is a good choice. Even though it's lower profile than stock, it still has enough side wall for comfort. It also gives you a little less so it doesn't look like your riding on s10 tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could always do 195/50, which is another popular size other than stock but that will throw your speedo off even more (3.3%).
unless you have a 96 civic cx =) (factory equipped with 13" steelies, 14" steelies became the standard for all trims the following year)

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There's not going to be any noticeable difference in feeling with such a slight difference in tire size. The actual tire you select will have more of an effect than a couple millimeters of sidewall height.

boxinggsxr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i still havent picked i love kumho tires so those are the brand i think im going with but still not sure what size

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just go with 195/50R15 or a 205/50R15. The difference in comfort between either of those sizes and a 205/55R15 is very minimal. The performance difference would be a bit more noticeable though. Not to mention 205/55R15 is just a meaty ooking tire.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kuhmos are not that great of a tire. I shred through those guys.

50 sidewall is probably best for what you're looking for. Although I'm rocking 205/40/16 and I don't think that's too uncomfortable :what:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think a 195/50 is a good choice. Even though it's lower profile than stock, it still has enough side wall for comfort. It also gives you a little less so it doesn't look like your riding on s10 tires.
Agreed. Ive been using 195-50-15's for almost a year now with Koni Str.t shocks & Tein S.Tech springs, lowing me about 1.5 inches. It ride pretty well, turns feel tight, and I have no rub.

There's not going to be any noticeable difference in feeling with such a slight difference in tire size. The actual tire you select will have more of an effect than a couple millimeters of sidewall height.
Agreed. Splurge for a quality tire brand with high ratings. Im very satisfied with my current Hankooks.

ok i still havent picked i love kumho tires so those are the brand i think im going with but still not sure what size
Kuhmos are not that great of a tire. I shred through those guys.
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Kumhos. On my old '95 Legend coupe, I used 2 sets of Kumhos. Neither lasted longer than roughly 20k-25k miles. At least 3 of those 8 total Kumho tires developed bubbles, of which one popped while on the highway. Never again will I purchase Kumhos.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Most of the time bubbles are caused by force (hitting curb, pothole, big rock, ect). I can happen easier with a cheaper tire as the compounds aren't up to the abuse, but they don't just come from nothing.

Hankooks are a good tire. I wouldn't really recommend Kumho anymore though. My customers don't seem to like them and have pushed me away from ordering them anymore. They seem to wear too fast.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Falkens aren't bad for the price :what:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Falkens aren't bad for the price :what:
Have to admit I don't know much about Falkens. My suppliers don't generally carry them.

195/55r15 I would go with Hankook Optimo H426 for an all season or some Yokohama S-Drives if looking for summer performance. S-Drives are a good tire, but remember that they are a straight summer tire and the tread wear rating is kind of low considering.

205/55r15 Doesn't give much of a selection. S-Drives are my vote there as well. All season you don't have much of a choice.