Picking the right amp. I need help!

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Hello c.c.
I have a 12" hifonics zues sub in a sealed box ready to be installed. However I'm not sure what amp I should get for it. Here are the specs for the sub.

Features of the Hifonics Zeus HZ12 include:
Type - Component
Elements - 1-Way
Function - Subwoofer
Size - 12"
Nominal Power Handling - 450 Watt
Technical Features:
Peak Power Handling - 800 Watt
Sensitivity - 89.90 dB
Impedance - 4 ohm

Here is the amp I am considering. Will this amp be sufficient for the sub? I don't want to kill either of them haha. Thanks for the help everyone!!! :lol:

Kenwood Kac-8105D 1000-Watt Class D Mono Amplifier
Class D Mono Car Audio Amplifier
1000W Max Power
300 X 1 @ 4_
500 X 1 @ 2_
Thermal Management System
Speaker-level inputs with signal sensing turn-on
Bass Boost Control
Variable low-pass filter
High quality speaker level input and blue illumination
Preamp-level inputs and outputs

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do the numbers match up?

Sub = 450-800
Amp = 500 @2 ohm

yeah I think that works

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Do the numbers match up?

Sub = 450-800
Amp = 500 @2 ohm

yeah I think that works
Would I run the amp on 2ohms even though the sub is 4? In that case the rms of the amp at 4ohms is 300wt, where as the subs rms is 450wt. Would it hurt the amp to keep it a little higher than rms. I am very new to car audio and understanding it. It would be great to get an explanation of rms, nominal power vs peak power. ect.
Thanks for the response

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You will be fine to run over rms.

Stock99ex

Willing to Learn
Registered VIP
Okay cool, do you guys know if that amp is a decent amp? Im not trying to break records but I don't want a pile of crap in my trunk either haha. The sub is supposed to pound hard for what it is. I will be dynomating it up too. I hate all the rattles.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
kenwood makes some really reliable amps there one of the few household name brands that hasn't fallen off the wagon.im still using my kenwood KAC-7252 its over 5 years old and i beat the s**t out of it daily.

Sesshomaru

Infamous Furry
The sub is a pretty good choice. Kenwood is good, not my choice, but it's reliable and decent. You can always go higher than the impedance (Ω/ohms) that the amp says. The number on the amp is the lowest it can safely handle. Your sub is 4Ω which won't push the amp as hard as a 2Ω would. This would be a pretty good combo, but personally I'd get an amp with a little more power.