pistons for my b18b turbo

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
piecing together a turbo b18b to swap in next year.

looking at the wiesco selection in the store and im not sure what to get.

the engine will be built as follows:

endyne girdle
gsr oil pick up, wind tray, and oil pan
shot peened crank and rods
forged pistons... which ones?
maybe larger valves
definitly 3 angle valve job
arp fasteners through out
stiff valve springs
kevlar timing belt
adjustable cam gears

only looking to make 275hp daily on pump gas, will be running s300 and seperate maps for 300+ on race gas. im sure someone has some usefull advice, all appreciated.

-chris:?:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it were me I would go 10:1 compression pistons, not sure if you your wanting to overbore or not though. I would probably wait and see what the motor needs first, you dont want to buy pistons for standard bore then find out the cylinders need overbored to make them round again.

stupidhard

BOAT KNIGHT!
that makes sence, im just putting together my list at the press. is there a reason you would go with such a high ratio? seems like detonation would be hard to escape at that pressure. ive heard go low like 8.5:1 low and then ive heard tech heads say go high and do some fuel delivery magic.

ive heard CP pistons develope a nice piston slap after a while, other than that im not well versed on aftermarket pistons. any advantages to one mfgr. over another? maybe some of you guys would like to share your set up and experiences tuning....

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Don't know where you heard the piston slap thing about, most forged piston setups will slap when cold. It's an issue when the slap doesn't go away after the engine is warm.

Im running Arias pistons and I aint scurred

Common aftermarket off the shelf pistons are

Arias
CP
Wiseco
JE

The SRT guys were having issues with a part of the valve relief portion of the piston breaking off with Wiseco pistons, same with CP on other forums. I believe they redesigned them since them. The main culprit was improper ring gaps IIRC.
A conservative tune should be be able to handle 10.1:0. If you want to be really safe just get some with stock compression, that way your car doesn't feel like a dog out of boost.