Pistons, Rods, & Head HELP

rocko5845

5+ Year Member
I built a monster D15B7 with a T3T4 turbo and all the other goodies to go with it. I put in the Vitara Pistons with the stock rods and that put the compression at 6:1. I did this because I couldn't afford the rods at the time. I ran the car for almost 1,600 miles and blew a head gasket (I think). Now I am taking it back apart to fix the gasket and replace the stock rods with some much better.

Looking for people with a lot of experience to help me out!!!!! Must keep lower than 9:1 comp with rods

What are the best rods to use with the Vitars? Are there any rods that can be used that DONT require knotching the block? Anyone know of a piston/rod setup thats better and still decent priced?

Thanks

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Rods mess with the compression of an engine?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rods mess with the compression of an engine?
yes....the rod length plays a factor in the compression ratio

just pick up some Eagle H beams, they are cheap and will withstand the abuse. You may or maynot have to notch the block, and it will keep your compression in the 8 something : 1 ratio.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Eagle H Beams are the same spec as the D16Z6 in length (137mm).
The D15B7 on the other hand has a rod length of 134mm.
This, coupled with the Vitara Pistons that have a dome of something like -15cc and a compression height of about 28.3mm should put your engine at about 7.67:1 Compression Ratio. Ask them how much they are going to need to mill off the head if they have to mill it, because that will raise your compression too.

eg6white305

Your compression is now 6:1 ? Eagle rods are good but go to fjdistributors.com! Fj rods is what i would get.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Actually, I think the FJ's are a bit longer than the D16's. I think they are about 138.6mm +/- about .05mm. The FJ's will keep you below a 9:1 CR. The FJ's will put you at about 8.64:1.