pistons thatll fit in a d16y8 block

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey im rebuilding a d16y8 engine and im wondering if some d16 a1 p29 pistons will fit. they 70mm and i can also get them oversized but thats only .5 mm bigger. also would the d16z6 head fit on the y8 block well? thanks.

frankmoocivic

I
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey I'm not sure about the piston size I was wondering about that myself I do know that the z6 head will fit on the D16 block I'm almost certain that the 92-95 z6 vtec head will fit a 96-00 D16 block if thats what your asking. IMO I would keep the 96-00 block with the y8 vtec head only cause that's what's supposed to go there and I like keeping year parts with the same year parts. Plus if you buy new parts from Honda it's easier for the parts guy to find s**t on the computer lol

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
P29 = 75 mm

Y8 = 75 mm

P29 WILL NOT work on Y8's as they will hit the head. if you want some higher compression A6 pistons will bring it up to 10.6:1.

If you want to use a P29, swap to a Z6 head and you will have enough room for them, and then you will have about 12.5 to 13.0 :1 compression.

Dont listen to the above guy, just cause its "supposed to go there" doesnt mean it HAS to stay there. Just like the guy who swapped a ZC DOHC head onto his D16A6, it wasnt "supposed" to go on there, but he made it work.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i have a z6 head and if i use that ill have enough clearance for the p29 pistons? sorry if i sound like a noob. im just makin sure i spend my money on the right parts the first time.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm using D16A6 CP pistons on my y8/y8 original set-up and I havent heard anything about them NOT working in unison. My set-up will raise the compression ratio significantly so tunning will be needed. If you raise your compression alot you definitely need to get it tuned, and getting it tuned means more money to be spent so research more.

I got a badass deal on the pistons I bought, that's why I bought them... only to later find out my CR would be too high for my stock map and ecu so all that has to be changed... I'm actually in the process of doing building it right now...

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Do you plan on boosting later on or staying n/a? There are a few different pistons that would be better depending on which way you want to go. Boost and you should get vitara pistons, n/a you should get pg6's. Fjdistributors.com has good quality kits for a good price

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
why would you want a z6 head on a y8 block.... should be the other way the y8 head is better it has a slightly higher compression is the y8 block that sucks balls the z6 block is way better flows way more oil.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i plan on doin na cause it dont tear up the engine like boost. this is my daily driver so im just rebuilding the y8 engine slowly that i got a good deal on. cant beat gettin a y8 engine for a hundred bucks. why i was wanting the d16a1 p29 pistons was because usin the z6 head allowed for the raised pistons. im tryin to get really high compression without being too crazy and sticking with a tight budget. from what ive heard the y8 block and z6 head is the most common combination and the best to use. i got the z6 head and y8 block so lemme know what yall think i should do to it. im all ears! just keep in mind im in college with a very very small budget