Please Help, new to civics

hosengthao

Hey guys,

I have a couple problems with my 2001 civic ex that I got from my uncle and didn't know where else to go so i decided to join the forum. I was told that it had been in an accident before and nothing "major" was wrong with it... Lies i tell you.

First - the battery light is showing. I changed the battery, checked the cables and it's still on. My uncle said the previous owners tried to change the alternator and maybe they missed something?

Second - the SRS light is on. i know there was a recall for this in my car but they previous owner didn't take it in. is it still possible to take it in?

Third - it gets really loud when accelerating. No idea where to go with this.

Fourth - it's been using a lot of coolant. The civic overheats when i come to a stop but when i accelerate the thermostat goes back down. there is also a coolant leak around the seals. mostly where the head gasket is.

thats about it... for now anyways.

thanks for looking. any help would be much appreciated.

Hoseng

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hope you "got" that car for free. Sounds like a mess.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1. The battery light - check the ground on the alternator to make sure it's grounded to a piece of the frame, not the damn radiator support or something.
2. As far as the SRS light, it's unlikely that you'll be able to take it into a dealership for a recall. They have a specific time frame for that. If it's on, that usually means the airbags were deployed.
3. Loud as in what? Is there an intake/header on it? That would be why it's loud. Otherwise, probably a rigged filter attached to the intake air box.
4. The coolant issue likely due to a blown head gasket. Check to see if your oil is milky at all.

The way I see it, you've got two options: dump a bunch of money into this, and make it a learning experience, or slang it to some kid as-is for probably $2k at most.