Please help to identify OIL LEAK

D16W9

Hello
How are you guyz.
I am New in this forum. May be someone else already posted the thread on this topic, but Could not found it. I have Honda Civic 2002, 7th generation Vtech with D16W9 motor. I have issue of oil leak. I tried hard but could not trace the oil leak. I already changed the Valve cover gasket. Please see the arrows (the crevices) in the picture from where the oil is leaking and the yellow circle indicates the oil covered area on engine.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Often times the distributor o ring seal will harden over time and a leak will gradually occur.

It's a very common oil leak spot for Hondas, and it puts oil in the same areas that you've specified. The vtec solenoid gasket is also a likely culprit, but I'm not sure if your particular motor is a vtec motor or not.

When I'm hunting an oil leak I'll typically clean all visible oil off of the motor and then watch it extremely closely to see where the oil first appears.

Best of luck to you! Be sure to report back.

D16W9

[MENTION=50011]young[/MENTION], Thanks a lot. As I already mentioned its a Vtech motor. It doesn't have distributor as its PGM-FI. The areas I marked with arrows are at the front of engine. Please Amy other idea??

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check the cam seal plug those always leak and will pool oil then engine vibrations can move the oil along seems to strange places.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
None of the places you pointed to should be leaking oil, except maybe the top arrow but if you are leaking there it means head gasket time. The other 2 arrows are where the case and the trans meet. No oil there unless you have a destroyed rear main seal.

Did you clean off the engine after doing the valve cover? It's highly likely the oil is left over from that leak.

Best way to find an oil leak is to get a dye kit, pour in the dye, let the car run for a while, then inspect with an infrared flashlight. It is impossible to find an oil leak through words over the net. You are going to have to do the leg work. Clean the hell out of the block, run it, then look for fresh oil. After that follow it up to where it is leaking down from.

D16W9

[MENTION=74087]lethal6[/MENTION] thanks
Thanks to everyone.
Yes I cleaned the engine after valve cover gasket change . No the cam seal is dry.
@ lethal6, if the head gasket is leaking, doesn't it has other symptoms, like engine over-heating and water and oil mix in radiator?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[MENTION=74087]lethal6[/MENTION] thanks
Thanks to everyone.
Yes I cleaned the engine after valve cover gasket change . No the cam seal is dry.
@ lethal6, if the head gasket is leaking, doesn't it has other symptoms, like engine over-heating and water and oil mix in radiator?
Does oil seepage is the sign of bad head gasket???
NONE of the places you have arrow should be leaking oil. If they are, it's the stuff I listed. Pretty cut and dry. Unless the oil is running down from the top somewhere.

Did you run the dye like I suggested? We can't help you find an oil leak by words over the net. It's impossible.

D16W9

[MENTION=74087]lethal6[/MENTION]

Thanks alot. I will do the dye test as you advised.