Please Help With My D15b?????

318hondalife

Honda Life
5+ Year Member
OK im new to civic club but im a little confused on my d15b motor. I have the i have a 96 civic d15b with 2 vtec selionids therefore if im correct it is a stage 3. The guy that put the motor in for me has no idea what the 3 stages are or what they actually mean so what he did was call the person that he ordered the motor from and they told him to just wire the selonids up & just have one working instead of 2. if im correct for this stage 3 to work properly i need the very rare p2j ecu.. what i wanna know is what do i do about the selonids. should i rewire them? what do i need to do to get this motor working properly in my car? and what kind of horsepower am i getting without the ecu and the other selonid not plugged up? any help would be nice thanks:???:

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if you have a d15b out of a CX, then you have about 70 horsepower

EDIT: d15b is from a 5th gen CX..

sl215whore

5+ Year Member
you can hookup a p28 and just get an obd2a to obd1 jumper harness. if the stage 3 vtec wont work without that ecu which im not sure of then i would just leave one vtec solenoid wired like the person who did the swap did. you should be looking at 130hp at the crank

gusunit

5+ Year Member
I had the same problem as you. i had a three stage vtec D15B. It drived me nuts all the time because it was so laggy. My solution was simple and actually was a very good investment for me(Power). Luckily i still had my old motor and i took off the head. its the D16Y8 head. i took it to get milled valve job etc. I bought a head gasket set, ARPs, and aem tru time cam gear.. I installed and now it runs soooo much better. it actually runs too good to be true. Thats just my opinion. Some people at work say i have B series motor by the way it pulls and sounds. i only spent 250 for tall this but i had the head tho. you can get one on ebay pretty cheap its under 500 with gasket and ARPs.

gusunit

5+ Year Member
ecu wont matter with the D15b 3 stage. i had the P28 chipped and still did not run right.

318hondalife

Honda Life
5+ Year Member
yea i was thinkin of doing the mini me but its a new motor and its still under warranty so that elliminates that idea. i cant find the p2j ecu anywhere... and like you said its so sluggish it drives me crazy.. to me it feels as though it is capable of more power but it just wont produce it if that makes any since.. any one else have any ideas? anyone no how much hp im gettin with out the p2j ecu & only the one selinoid hooked up?

gusunit

5+ Year Member
well if you hook up one solenoid(from what i heard) vtec will kick in at 3500RPMS because thats when stage two kicks in. the head is built to save gas thats why its three stage. HP will be the same as the d16y8regardless of the ecu! I said screw the warranty because your motor is getting messed up as it is. Your flooding it with gas. My motor got so bad it started sputtering and not running right. You need a solution quick!

gusunit

5+ Year Member
Swapping the head will be the best thing to do! i know of a couple guys here that did the same thing and are Happy! Putting one solenoid will only waste more gas.

gusunit

5+ Year Member
Oh yea and having vtec kick in so early is bbbbbaaaaaaaaddddd!!!! No pressure will builld up and can cause serious problems. so scratch off one solenoid. Oh and check your clutch too because my clutch got messed up when they put in the D15B. I guess it spun.