Plz Help: Car Skips When Low On Gas

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site so I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Mandy, I'm 25 and own a 1999 Honda Civic Si. I knew when I bought this car that it would be a long road before she was in a condition that was suitable in my eyes. I've already put thousands of dollars into this car and have usually been able to self diagnose the problems I encounter. However, I'm a little confused about the current problem, my boyfriend and I have some ideas but I wanted to get a second opinion from you all. So heres a little history:

Bought the car last year in July I believe, was running fine for the first few months. I ended up having start problems. My friend, who's a mechanic tested my alternator and my battery, said it was the battery. About 3-4 months later, start problems arouse again. This time, I didn't test, I bought a new alternator, installed it and BAM....two days later, she still is giving me issues. I take the alternator out, bring it to get tested and sure enough it's good. So I go back to Sullivan Tire (where I bought my battery), they couldn't find a thing wrong with it so they simply replaced my battery again. Personally, I think I will be running into this problem again because my gut is telling me it's an electrical problem. Anyway, I have no run into a new and very weird problem, something I've never experienced with any car before. One day I was randomly driving down the street (had about a 1/4 tank of gas left) and my car started jumping, skipping, whatever you wanna call it. You know, you get into the car with someone who doesn't know how to drive a standard and they're pulling up on the clutch too quick causing the car to jump, thats what it was doing. So, I went home, called Sullivan tire and they said it sounded like my clutch but to bring it in. Well, when I started the car up again it wasn't doing it anymore and they could find nothing wrong. Weird...well a few days go by and she does it again, this time while I'm in a parking lot. So I drove it around for a second and it was just going nuts.....now for the funny part.....I shut the car off, turn it back on and surprise surprise, she's running like a champ. Well the other day I was just about on E and I counted it, FIVE times this happened to me in about an hours time of driving and everytime I would shut it off and turn it back on and it was fine. So I finally put gas in it, filled it right up and now it's not doing it anymore. This is so weird.

So, my guess is either the ignition coil or the distributor cap. I have an appointment with my mechanic tomorrow but if I could save the money n fix the problem myself I'd be much happier. So what do you all think?

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Do you have any CEL's?

I would look at your spark plugs and check your distributor as a whole.

It sounds like you have a misfire.

Whens the last time your spark plugs were changes? Distributor?

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
My spark plugs and wires were replaced about two weeks ago. As far as the distributor goes...not since I bought the car at least.

The_Rookie

5+ Year Member
Fuel Filter..... you might as well change it too.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Already changed that as well. I've changed the Fuel Filter, Replaced one of my Fuel Injectors, Plugs, Wires, Current on oil changes. I don't know what it could be.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome!

I've had a jerking issue similar to yours. when my car started jerking it almost felt like the car was about to die, and in my case the car did die. I diagnosed and found out it was bad fuse which didn't let the alternator work properly.

Your issue sounds a little diffrent. The fist thing that came to my head is fuel pump. Specially since this issue only happens when the fuel is low.

does the car have the original motor?

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Yes, the original motor is still in the car. It was definetly not well taken car of by the previous owner but I promised myself I won't give up on this one. Maybe my best bet would be bringing it in to the mechanic then huh? I don't really want to play the guessing game on this one.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Of course you can't guess, but you can diagnose. Sometimes even if the CEL is not on there could be malfunctioning codes. I would check the ecu for codes and work from there.

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was thinking fuel filter at first myself, but you said you canged the filter. Have you tried a fuel injector cleaner? Maybe there is a clog somewhere in the line. Maybe the fuel pump is starting to crap out?

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Oh ok, well, the CEL has been on since I bought the car. I replace the fuse under the hood and it went off for about a day or two and came back on. Last time I tried to do a diagnostic on it the computer wasn't communicating but that was before I replaced the fuse so I'm hoping now it will work if we hook it up again.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Yes, I've also used fuel injector cleaner a few times and I don't really notice a difference. Anything that's "cheap" I've definetly tried first. Unfortunetly it just is getting worse. It also has started to idle at about 500rpms which it used to idle at a grand. Not sure why it does that either.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Well go to autozone and get it checked.. then you may find out the problem..

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
good idea, instead of waiting for my mechanic to do it. I will actually go do that right now. They love me at advance Auto, thats like my second home. I'lll come back and tell you all the outcome. Thanks so much guys! BRB

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, I've also used fuel injector cleaner a few times and I don't really notice a difference. Anything that's "cheap" I've definetly tried first. Unfortunetly it just is getting worse. It also has started to idle at about 500rpms which it used to idle at a grand. Not sure why it does that either.
At normal operating temperature, I believe idle is between 500-800 rpm.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Okay guys, so I'm back with some good news and some not so helpful news. They were able to get a reading from my computer. The reason my CEL is on is because of a bad O2 sensor located next to my exhaust manifold. I knew there was a possibility of this being bad because when repair my exhaust we noticed that it had been spliced, my boyfriend put it back together but apparently that didn't matter. So I guess for my current problem, it's off to the mechanics I go tomorrow.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
You can't see my picture :( I put one on, I suppose it's not working right. That sux! I can see it lolz.

SweetEBPSi - Ya it's once my car gets warm it idles right at 500- but I've also noticed it seems to be working harder to stay running which is the part I am nervous about.