Popping Noise from steering wheel/column when turning side to side while stopped.

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
I got a 96 Civic Hatchback dx no powersteering, I don't know if I noticed this before installing my new Steering wheel set up.
But after I installed my steering wheel I noticed that When I turn right or left while the car is still or going really slow it will make a pop noise. If i was on a stand still with steering wheel straight, and jerk the wheel right it make that noise, jerk back left it will make that noise. Its like a single pop noise and sounds like its coming from the steering column, but i'm not too sure.

It doesn't happen when I'm rolling past 5 miles per hour, everything seems to drive and steer fine. this single pop noise happens only when I'm stopped, or very close to be being stopped.

I've done some reading and I heard axles (it can't be because i'm not turning all the way)
I heard tie rods, and upper or lower ball joints. and even worst I heard (steering rack assembly bushings etc) omg please no.

Any one here have any experience with this ? if so please share

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mine did this and I hunted it down forever, but found it.
On the passengers side the previous owner didnt re-install a cotter pin on the upper a-arm of the suspension in the front, and it had about 3/16" of play and when the suspension traveled it would make a popping sound as it slipped up and down the ball joint threads. I thought it was the column or rack and pinion for the longest time.

Double check ALL your suspension bolts and nuts, leave nothing left un-torqued. Mine only did it around 5-10 mph also, and when decelerating almost at a complete stop.

RonJ

Banned
Well, if the noise is coming from the steering column, then double check the steering wheel installation.

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
Mine did this and I hunted it down forever, but found it.
On the passengers side the previous owner didnt re-install a cotter pin on the upper a-arm of the suspension in the front, and it had about 3/16" of play and when the suspension traveled it would make a popping sound as it slipped up and down the ball joint threads. I thought it was the column or rack and pinion for the longest time.

Double check ALL your suspension bolts and nuts, leave nothing left un-torqued. Mine only did it around 5-10 mph also, and when decelerating almost at a complete stop.
thank you so much ! I had over 7 EK's i bought stock and did suspension my self. this is one of the first cars i bought from a high school-er in which he claims he did him self. I didn't even think of that, but i will make sure I check my bolts !

( big clue in why you might be right, when i first got the car, the top hat bolt in the back for the shock was loose and made noise ... )

thank you roma cx 96 ! i will let the thread know wassup

dth0ng69

5+ Year Member
No problem man. How did it go??
Hey romacx,

Its weird, so i checked and all the bolts looked solid and still had their cotterpins on ... then i checked out my axle and my boot was completely ripped. I replaced that one axle. But now im stuck again, after replacing that axle my steering wheel feels alot smoother when steering. But it still makes that same popping sensation ... Did you actually feel the pop in the steering wheel ? it happens even wen i do it not too fast ..

so weird ...

thanks for replying

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah I felt it in the steering wheel. That was just from my experience,

Do as RonJ suggested and check over your steering wheel I stallation again, also pull the dust cover off your steering column under the dash, its got 2 circle clips holding it on you can remove by hand, there are 2 universal joints on the column itself, check to see if those bolts came loose and if so re-torque them.