Possible blow head gasket

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Engine: '96 B18b1

Heres the story:
Two weeks ago I got an overheating problem from a leaking hose that didn't noticed until stopping after a 30-45 min. trip, needle didn't reached the top red line, I fixed the leak but it continues overheating between 1/2 and 3/4 gauge randomly and consuming coolant, 1 week ago driving at normal temperature the bottom hose from radiator suddenly blown, changed both hoses (top and bottom), since then daily I have to fill radiator with less than 1/2 litter of coolant in the morning, but haven't overheated again.

The symptoms:
Some times it's really hard to star the engine some times normal, and when starting, idle is so bad but after some seconds it becomes normal, sometimes there is vapor from the exhaust and smells like coolant.

I'm thinking of bad head gasket, but there's no oil on coolant nor coolant on oil, there is no back pressure on radiator, no leaks, no more overheating, but coolant smell, bad idle, hard starting, and vapor from exhaust.

New Cometic headgasket is on the way, but I'm afraid of taking the head apart just to find the gasket was good and the problem is from somewhere else, is there something else I could check just to be sure it is a bad head gasket? Or what else could it be making that symptoms?

RonJ

Banned
Did you thoroughly bleed the cooling system?

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes, after fixing the first leak, after changing radiator hoses, and 3 days ago when adding coolant in the morning, got all bubbles out, and hoped to stop coolant disappear, but not, still needing to add coolant in the morning

RonJ

Banned
In the reservoir and radiator, do you see gas bubbles in the coolant?

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No, nor when accelerating without radiator cap

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have to fill about 1/2 liter or less each morning, and I move the car about 30-45 miles per day, there are no more leaks, and not overflow, the white smoke is little but only sometimes, especially when it's hard to start the engine

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have to fill about 1/2 liter or less each morning, and I move the car about 30-45 miles per day, there are no more leaks, and not overflow, the white smoke is little but only sometimes, especially when it's hard to start the engine
Sounds like a significant loss daily :???:

My car used to leak while I was driving, I never noticed spots on the ground, then I looked underneath and saw it was just blowing under the car and when it hit the exhaust, I smelled the coolant burning.

Definitely pressure test, if the gaskets blown, you'll find something off.

My car was leaking from a hose AND the water pump. The water pump was the seal between the impeller wheel and the gear and wasn't really a problem until the car was running / moving (warmed up)

Edit: Photo from my head rebuild. You can see the rust colored stains from the coolant just blowing down the car (The whole driver side underneath looked like this) and it would occasionally hit the exhaust and burn up.

RonJ

Banned
As mentioned above, pressure test the cooling system for leaks. You may also want to consider replacing the radiator cap.

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have checked for water pump leak with the engine working for about half hour, and nothing.

I will check if Autozone has the kit for pressure test, and get a new radiator cap.

Do you have any hint about the hard starting and bad idle randomly???

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Finally I was able to check the spark plugs, they look clean, I think they are cleaner than the last time I checked them

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Those are bosch platinum plus, I didn't check gap because I lost my gauge, any way, I've ordered new NGK spark plugs (BKR6E) and wires, they are coming today, what a better valentine day gift!!!