Possible new Motor - HELP

coreyls18

Ok to start I have a 2007 Honda Civic SI sedan. It has 83k miles on it and I have had it since it had 65k. Its ran perfect with no issues. Last thursday I drove to work great, went to lunch great, then when I left work it would start then die immediately. Took it to the shop and after a diags and a compression diags they say the time was jumped, low oil, valves dented, and pistons are scored. They want to put a new motor and all that good stuff for $4,900! Now I feel like im getting ripped a new a*****e, please advise cause im at a loss. I dont even have half that to get this fixed. My only options are to just count it as a loss and trade it in for a used car...and will have to be a crappy under $8k car most likely. Or my dad said he could possibly fix it and we just buy the parts since he has built engines before(but never honda or any imports). Says it should be pretty easy though. So do I trust that or say f*** it and trade it in....thoughts anything helps! Also if I did trde it in what do you think I should look for in return? I owe 13k on it still... My guess would be if it was working id get aroun d10k, but with it how it is now maybe 7-8k? Other than the motor the car looks great inside and out.

And BTW I recorded the conversation with the guy from the shop, if anyone wants to hear it I can send it to your email if it would help in anyway. Maybe you can tell if he is full of s**t or know what hes talking about. Cause I dont know much at all about cars unfortunately...

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rebuild it or find a motor somewhere else for cheaper and swap it in

coreyls18

rebuild it or find a motor somewhere else for cheaper and swap it in
Ok, but you do agree that the $5000 they are asking is reasonable? That would include gaskets, valves, motor, thermostat, timing chain and tensioner and few other things. Parts and labor.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes its reasonable. i mean its new motor plus the time to take out the old one and put in the new one. not going to be done in a day

coreyls18

yes its reasonable. i mean its new motor plus the time to take out the old one and put in the new one. not going to be done in a day
Well its a used one with 60k miles on it is what they would be putting in it. But yeah just wasnt sure on the price if it was reasonable or not.

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
probably charging you out the a$$ for labor but yeah its pretty close to right

coreyls18

Prob so. The more I have been thinking about it today. I may just see what they will give me for trade in and take my loss and get something else....not sure yet though. Thats what im leaning towards though.

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member