AE85 - takeuchi itsuki -> iggy
FC3S - takahashi ryosuke -> ry
FD3s - takahashi keisuke -> kt
BNR32 - nakazato takeshi -> zack
RPS13 (sileighty) - sato mako -> maya
CE9A - sudo kyoichi -> kyle
CN9A - iwaki seiji -> hawk
EK9 - ninomiya daiki -> dice
DC2 - sumairi sakai -> smiley (this one gets a pass because sumairi is "smiley" in japanese)
EK9 - tachi tomoyuki -> touch
AE86 - akiyama wataru -> aki (this one kinda gets a pass as well)
SXE10 - akiyama nobuhiko -> nobu (another pass, kinda)
FD3S - iwase kyoko -> kylie
EA21R - sakamoto -> sid

non-drivers characters:
natsuki mogi -> natalie
tachibana yuichi -> they just call him "boss" in tokyopop release
akiyama kazumi -> carrie

i think that's all of the characters that got renamed. i may be missing a few... yeah, the renames are flocking stupid imho... the fact that a bunch of scenes got cut (such as those involving natsuki and "papa") and the awesome eurobeat tunes changed to sh¡tty generic rock/rap/garbage really upsets me as well.

nb: the names are in the way they are in japan (last name before first name)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I got it Anfrey :P
I still have all the stages and special stages on my computer watch them often

I wish so much that they would have made the 5th stage since the manga is so much further than the anime is it's been so long. If i won the lottery I'd try to find the 4th stage artists and get them started on the 5th. =) need that s***! TAKUMI!
been waiting forever for 5th stage... i still keep up with the manga every now and then, whenever fansubs get released. i also wished they would've shown more of keisuke's races in the anime since they were f'n amazing in the manga.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i believe its the old version, where they have original names

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i believe its the old version, where they have original names
do they offer it in japanese with subtitles? fujiTV and animax hired some excellent voice actors for the series and it'd be a shame not to hear them. even if you can't understand exactly what they're saying, the emotion is still conveyed very clearly. it would be like watching a dub of a hollywood blockbuuster with a well known actor and hearing a s***ty dub over it. no, i wanna hear angelina jolie's moans, not some 2nd rate voice actresses' moans.

that said, there are a few good voice actors that dub anime to english. not all of them are crap, but the ones they picked for initial d sure are. (IMHO)

when funimation picked up the series after the tokyopop distributor went bankrupt, they went back and tried to correct all the issues. so the funimation release is probably as close to the original as possible... however, all the initial d manga in the US is still missing all the sex scenes and such.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its still in Japanese, and from what i recall the translations in the subtitles are not all FUBAR, i remember one that was for sale on ebay that had really crappy guesses to words. being that its netflix i believe it to be the current distributor. they also have the live action one too.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
its still in Japanese, and from what i recall the translations in the subtitles are not all FUBAR, i remember one that was for sale on ebay that had really crappy guesses to words. being that its netflix i believe it to be the current distributor. they also have the live action one too.
yeah, tokyopop has translated wastegate to west gate... and many other f**kups... wtf?

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so it might be a little racist but i couldnt stop laughing

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member

making a late night dinner... jerk chicken, rotini, and alfredo sauce... it was good =)