power/reving problem

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when i rev up my engine and try to red line it it seems like it takes a long time to get there and it also doesn't get all the way to the red line, it gets to about 6,800 and just doesn't go any further... also my car doesn't seem to have the same ammount of acceleration that it used to have and just seems sluggsh

any help would be gladly accepted, thx :mrgreen:

hollywood217

Say it with me....GON-JA!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when is the last time you have changed your oil?

hoffman_20

I love lamp!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i kinda had a problem like that.... u checked ur throttle body?

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hollywood217 said:
when is the last time you have changed your oil?
tuesday... but i did wait a while till i had my oil changed from the last time 4k+ miles

hoffman_20 said:
how would you go about doing that... and what do i check for?

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
general tune up

plugs
wires
check the coil
check the dist cap
oil
fuel filter
PCV
ect...

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
io_303 said:
general tune up

plugs
wires
check the coil
check the dist cap
oil
fuel filter
PCV
ect...
yeah i guess it is about time for a tune up.... how much does a general tune up usually cost if i were to get it form honda or something like that

also i get my oil changed at valvoline and they usually check most of that stuff, and i got new wires in may so is all i really need are some new plugs?

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont know prices, but do it yourself.....its all easy, and it would be cheaper

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i gotta get my tranny into they guy who replaced it (5th gear is starting to scrape and its still under warranty) so im just gonna get him to do it while im there, he does good work for cheap so it sounds like a good option to me :mrgreen:

RICDOGG

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civicracer_x said:
when i rev up my engine and try to red line it it seems like it takes a long time to get there and it also doesn't get all the way to the red line, it gets to about 6,800 and just doesn't go any further... also my car doesn't seem to have the same ammount of acceleration that it used to have and just seems sluggsh

any help would be gladly accepted, thx :mrgreen:
a) stop revving your motor to redline.
b) reset your ecu.

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RICDOGG said:
a) stop revving your motor to redline.
b) reset your ecu.
first of all i was reving my engine bc i knew something was f**ked up, ( i didn't learn of this parked next to someone at a stop light, i got a little more since than that)

and second what will reseting my ecu do? and how do you do it? :what:

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah I would like to know about resetting the ECU as well. And a general tune up is what is needed buddy. Simple little things, like air filter etc. If you have an extra $120 your fuel injector cleaned.

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive got a k&n ram air and i cleaned it like a week ago... but im gonna take it to my mechanic tomorrow to hook me up :mrgreen:

TenzoMonk

Lick your back on it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for resetting ECU... either disconnect battery for about 5 minutes... or, just pull the ECU fuse. if you need more info than this... try a search =)

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hoffman_20 said:
check for wut and how? im having similar prob

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TenzoMonk said:
for resetting ECU... either disconnect battery for about 5 minutes... or, just pull the ECU fuse. if you need more info than this... try a search =)
but what does it do???? i don't see the link between poor throttle responce and the ecu, mabye if i had an idleing prob or something but its not that at all

97BlackCivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the best way to reset the computer it to either disconnect it for 5 min or pull the fuse because if u disconnect the battery u have to reset ur radio. The reason for doing this is if u had a check engine light on and fixed it, it'll get rid of it.

97BlackCivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
see if there any slack in ur throttle cable, also have someone sit in the car and give it full throttle (with the car off) and see if ur butterfly opens up all the way

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is the thottly cable suppose to kinda hang loose or tite pull?

RICDOGG

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
either unplug the ecu or disconnect the NEGATIVE terminal.
when you start the car check to see if the check engine light comes on for a sec. if it doesnt the bulb is burnt out.