joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
03 EX

Any tips on diagnosing my power steering? From the research I've done, I think the pump is crapped out, but I also wonder if it could be that I need to replace the fluid?

Sometimes I get that whining / remote control car sound. It gets much louder when I turn the steering wheel.

Also, is the pump something I'll be able to take care of on my own? Are there any risk factors I should be aware of if I screw up, or can I feel pretty safe to hop in and get to work?

Thanks!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Maybe a dumb question, but is the belt too tight? Putting to much pull on the pulley? I'd guess since you didn't mention it was after changing the belt, this isn't really relevant...

I don't have much in the way of troubleshooting, but as far as the pump itself, I've swapped them out. They just get messy when you undo the lines. Then you'll just need to bleed any of the air out.

Alternatively, you could flush the PS fluid system, refill, and then bleed it to see if that helps. Not sure that old fluid would make the pump sound like that...

Edit:
Looks pretty much the same for this engine as I'm used to on the D or B; 2 bolts to the bracket, 2 hoses, belt, then the pump would just fall out.

56110-PLA-033 PUMP SUB-ASSY., POWER STEERING $296.21

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Belt is actually still the stock belt, so I don't think it's that.

2 bolts, 2 hoses, and a belt doesn't sound too terrible. Do I need any special tools to bleed out the air? I'll obviously consult a manual or DIY for the specifics when I go to do this, but I'm still trying to assess if it's something I can do without throwing my money away at a shop. Thanks for the help so far.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I remember it like bleeding brakes kinda. Use the return hose into a container and while the car is running, turn the wheel lock to lock and dispose of the old fluid, put the return hose back on, fill it up and start it up and turn lock to lock again and fill as necessary.

Apparently turning the wheel from lock to lock isn't the Honda / Shop preferred way, it supposedly is not great for the pump, but I never had any issues with the replaced pump. Shops and Honda would generally use a vacuum system I imagine.

Took about as much time and effort as replacing a caliper and bleeding the brakes.

I'd like to hear what some others think regarding that method to flush / bleed as I do it on my cars but I wouldn't want to ruin someone else's telling them to do it, ya know what I mean?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks man. I appreciate the honesty too. Hopefully someone else can chime in, but you have me feeling better about it already. I'm hoping I can save a little money and learn something in the meantime.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I checked the reservoir and the fluid was looking a little low. I went ahead and topped it off today to give it a shot. I've only driven the car briefly since then, but it may have fixed the problem. I'll give it a few days to make sure.

RonJ

Banned
This might be a real tech thread, unlike the other.

If your PS fluid was low, check for fluid leakage from the steering rack dust boots. Also check the PS pump hoses.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks Ron. I'll take a look. If it is a leak, can I use the fluid with "stop leak?" I've been a little mixed on that. I've seen some people say it works, but the reservoir cover, and quite a few people, say that you should only use honda power steering fluid.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I checked the reservoir and the fluid was looking a little low. I went ahead and topped it off today to give it a shot. I've only driven the car briefly since then, but it may have fixed the problem. I'll give it a few days to make sure.
This might be a real tech thread, unlike the other.

If your PS fluid was low, check for fluid leakage from the steering rack dust boots. Also check the PS pump hoses.
I can say this here since it's Joe, but thanks for pointing out to start with basics. Never assume something like the fluid was checked, should have asked. I'm at the noob level of helping out and I continue to learn things.

RonJ

Banned
I can say this here since it's Joe, but thanks for pointing out to start with basics. Never assume something like the fluid was checked, should have asked. I'm at the noob level of helping out and I continue to learn things.
You're a good guy wreck. I like you.

No need to apologize for anything. We who know you understand what you're try to do.

RonJ

Banned
If it is a leak, can I use the fluid with "stop leak?" I've been a little mixed on that. I've seen some people say it works, but the reservoir cover, and quite a few people, say that you should only use honda power steering fluid.
If you want to top off the reservoir, add Honda or a Honda-recommended PS fluid.

In general Joe, stop leak additives are Band-Aide-type treatments. That alone is not awful, but these fixes in a bottle often cause more problems than they are worth. For example, they can be damaging and must eventually be thoroughly flushed out of the system = pain in the ass.

Before you get ahead of yourself, identify where the PS fluid is being lost. Start at the top driver's side area of the engine bay, following the outlet and inlet hoses from the pump to the rack.

Then raise the front end on stands and look for fluid from below as gravity eventually pulls the fluid down if the leak is from above. Also carefully inspect the rack dust boots for evidence of leakage.

The diagram is for 6th gen Civics, but your 7th gen will be similar.

Attachments

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You're a good guy wreck. I like you.

No need to apologize for anything. We who know you understand what you're try to do.
RonJ seal of approval :D

In general Joe, stop leak additives are Band-Aide-type treatments. That alone is not awful, but these fixes in a bottle often cause more problems than they are worth. For example, they can be damaging and must eventually be thoroughly flushed out of the system = pain in the ass.
Kind of like putting an actual band aid in the system.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Great info. Thanks!