Power steering fluid leak/need a new Rack

Spideyman20015

I took my 1996 Honda Civic LX to a local mechanic, Honda and checked with an Auto Salvage place to see why my Power Steering fluid was leaking. I noticed a few weeks ago that there was no fluid in my reservoir, so I bought some Honda power steering fluid and filled it up. Days later I checked it and it was almost gone. Turns out after I took it to 3 places that I need to replace the Rack.

Long story short, It going to cost at least $700 to replace it.

I guess the main questions I have are:
I know there is power steering fluid that also fixes leak, but I figured it was more for Hoses and such. Would it do anything to help, at the very least slow the leak?
Would it be safe to disable the Power Steering? I was considering taking off the belt and just have no Power Steering instead of spending close to $1000 to fix it.

The main problem I have with spending this amount of money is that its close to half of what I payed for the car. And if I decide to Resell it, power steering shouldn't increase or diminish the value of the car by much if at all. But of course thats my opinion.

I would appreciate any advice since I'm somewhat new to cars and how everything works.

Jermee

Registered VIP
Power steering is for wimps.....so is Ac....and heat....and a radio.

Jermee

Registered VIP
But seriously, I'd just do a power steering delete. My Honda doesn't have any nice amenities, doesn't bother me much.....but I don't daily it. All up to you brother on what you want to do.

Spideyman20015

Funny thing is I have to replace the clutch(I think) on the AC compressor before its explodes everywhere. But I live it Florida so its kind of a must have. July and August down here is hot in a car even with AC on the BLOW YOUR EYEBROWS OFF setting.

Jermee

Registered VIP
I live in Louisiana, I just drive with the windows down. But again when I drive it it's usually at night on weekends or it's to a car show. That's about it.

Spideyman20015

I usually ride with windows down on the non-summer months but when you're in a suit or pants or with a girl they hate to mess up there hair... So A/C it is! haha

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yep just take the PS off. Only time you'll really notice it is when you are stopped and try to turn

Trekk

Registered VIP
I've never tried to rebuild a Honda rack, but the rebuild seal kit is like $10. =)
Normally it's easy to do, just some people like to punch in the ends, and that can make it a total pain the ass, to get it apart.

If your not planning to fix it, you can try to put a leak stopper of some sort in it.