Precedure for Flushing Brake Fluid on '99 EX Sedan with ABS?

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am looking for the correct procedure for bleeding the brakes on a '99 Civic EX 5-speed, sedan, with ABS. I have done the clutch no problem, MUCH better feel now! :D

The Haynes repair manual for car does not have a particular sequence of what wheel is done first and which is done next. I know on a NON-ABS car that you bleed the wheel farthest from master cyl. (Pass. Rear) to closest (Drivers Front). On most ABS cars, it goes in an X pattern. :?: Can I use the petal to push the fluid through the lines or will the ABS pump have to be on? :?: Thanks

I want to do this while doing a tire rotation, so I will jack-up the car pulls the wheels off each corner at a time and bleed it there with my girl pushing the petal for me. ;)

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Huh. Never really thought about it being different on an ABS equipped vehicle :what:

I suctioned as much of the old brake fluid out with an old battery fill bulb (glorified turkey baster), refilled with nice clean DOT 4, hooked up the mighty vac on the passenger rear, and pumped out the fluid while refilling the reservoir until it ran clear. Repeated at driver rear, then passenger front, and finally at driver's front.

It seemed to have worked just fine. The fluid is still really clear and my ABS works. Maybe the pattern matters less when you Mighty Vac it.

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda and Acura ONLY shop said can do it old fashion way?

Beelzebubba, did you do this on a Civic with ABS?

Just called the owner of a Honda Acura ONLY shop I take the car too when I don't have time to do somthing. The owner said you can do the turket baster to the res. fill with DOT 3. There have someone press the brake petal and open the bleeder screw on the Pass. Rear first and end at Drivers Front. Tighten the bleeder down and press the petal again and keep doing it till the lines run clean! =)

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, On an EH9.

DOT 3 and DOT 4 are interchangeable. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point. DOT 3 or DOT 4 is fine I just prefer DOT 4. DOT 5 won't mix at all. The turkey baster is used just so you are drawing clean fluid through to start with. You dont even have to do that at all but it will take MUCH longer to get clean fluid through the bleeder if you don't.

You can do it by having someone press on the pedal. It's just easier to MightyVac it and you can do it by yourself. He's probably right about the order (L/R, D/F, etc...) I probably screwed up the order but it didn't affect it negatively. I had a good pedal, even pad wear, smooth consistant stopping...etc...

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did it with DOT3 casue my girl drives it and NOT HARD!! DOT3 absorbs moisture slower. Went like a dream thanks for the help, petal feels MUCH better now.

At what mileage should I check the rear drums on the car?

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rear drum shoes

shortlid said:
At what mileage should I check the rear drums on the car?
Anyone what mileage did your rear drums nead new shoes?? :?: