Problem after clutch install. Possible clutch switch?

DAPC

I am looking for my starter Relay in a 99 Honda Civic... ANYONE Know where that is?

RonJ

Banned
I am looking for my starter Relay in a 99 Honda Civic... ANYONE Know where that is?
Up high under the dash. Why are you looking for this relay?

DAPC

Went to store. Car would not start. Got new battery, was not it took battery back. Tested starter, works great : ) .. Man at car shop said it is the clutch switch and starter relay.. only he wants $210 to do it and i do not have that much money. Plus he just put in a clutch plate before all this happened and makes me think he is not working on it right. My cruise control stopped working after he put in the clutch plate. Can you be more specific about where that starter relay is?

RonJ

Banned
The problem is not likely the starter relay. That relay almost never goes bad.

There are two switches, upper and lower, on the clutch pedal. You're interested in the upper one. Check the rubber stopper (red arrow) that presses on the switch button. Is it missing? Also check the clutch pedal height and switch position adjustments. The mechanic may have screwed that up.

The lower switch is for cruise control. Check that switch too, its rubber stopper, along with the pedal height and switch position adjustment.

By the way, you may want to ask moderator lethal6 to move your post to its own thread. You've buried your question in a thread of questionable relevance.

DAPC

What happens if the rubber stopper piece is missing? Where can i get it. It may have been laying in the floorboard and i did not know it, and he picked it up.
The clutch where i put my foot was not the same when I got it back from him. I have driven this car for almost 15 years so i know how it felt. How do I adjust that part? Make it higher?

Last edited by a moderator:

DAPC

Ok i guess the mechanic gets another 220 of mine. I cannot get under the dash to see the part. I can see a spring that disappears but cannot see the bar it is supposed to hit and it is behind all my fuses. Thank you for the help.

DAPC

I got the clutch switch out. It lights up when i push the button down as the clutch would. So all that work for nothing ?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got the clutch switch out. It lights up when i push the button down as the clutch would. So all that work for nothing ?
I wouldn't say it was for nothing. It is part of troubleshooting. It brings you to a possible solution and gains knowledge towards what is or isn't wrong with the car.

DAPC

OK The only thing left to try is the Starter Relay and i cannot find it does anyone know where it is on the car? 99 civic ex

Thank You lethal 6 for moving my tread! : )

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are welcome.

I would wait before you go digging around for the relay. They arent known for going out. It is very likely that it is not your problem.

How did you test the switch? You know for a fact that it is still good?

DAPC

Tested with the tester that lights up. Pushed in the button and it lite up. Is that not how to test?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Tested with the tester that lights up. Pushed in the button and it lite up. Is that not how to test?
That sounds right.

The switch could be fine but the pedal could be way out of adjustment and not contacting the switch. What happens with the switch plugged into the car and pushed in by hand? Does the car start?

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is the rubber stopper on the top of the pedal?

DAPC

yes! thank you! : ) There is a little piece of plastic < 10$ at Honda dealer) that causes the button to press in.... the old one had broken off it is pointed small piece of plastic the cruise control and clutch switch both have one and both were broken! i got both from Honda < $10 fix!

RonJ

Banned
Slow down dude. When the clutch pedal is fully depressed, does the switch button get pushed in? In other words, is the clutch pedal and switch properly adjusted?

DAPC

Slow down dude. When the clutch pedal is fully depressed, dose the switch button get pushed in? In other words, is the clutch pedal and switch properly adjusted?
Are they supposed to be? I am thinking the light showing they worked only came on when fully depressed so they should be fully depressed. I just bought the part will do work in the morning.... this will only be the 4th day of working on the thing. :lol: !! I have to put in the 2 small plastic pieces. Am very upset that my regular mechanic wanted me to pay him $220 for less that $10 part... He has lost a customer forever :evil:

RonJ

Banned
Are they supposed to be?
Yes

I am thinking the light showing they worked only came on when fully depressed so they should be fully depressed.
I hope you understand that nobody knows what test you did. Therefore, how could anybody agree or disagree with your conclusion?

I have to put in the 2 small plastic pieces.
You found a problem? Please share.

Am very upset that my regular mechanic wanted me to pay him $220 for less that $10 part... He has lost a customer forever :evil:
Mechanics will steal your money whenever you give them the chance.