problem after problem after problem

zang8027

5+ Year Member
Ok so i had some car problems last week.. now another one arises just as i fixed the last problem.. so it HAS to be because of something we did on the last job.

Last week, i turned the key, power went out. Found out it was a bad ground wire and we replaced it. We replaced 2 ground wires and a battery terminal, as well as a new starter. Problem solved right? Yes.. put the key in, power! Go to crank it, wont start..

ok this happened before.. last time we had the valve cover off, checked this, that , this , that.. finally realized it was flooded.. and never un flooded.. so we took out the spark plugs, cranked it so the excess gas came out, put some oil into the spark plug cylinders, bam, got it to work..

so we did the same thing.. pulled plugs, cranked it over, dropped 2 drops of oil in, cranked it, cranked it.. almost had it but the battery finally died. So we charged it, floored the gas pedal, got it to start.. ok yay!! I can drive it now.

Well i pull out to test drive it, and it starts backfiring, and like.. puttering and jerking... so now the engine is missing. We have brand new roter on, a cap that is about 3 months old, new spark plug cables, new ignition coil.. we replaced everything that we could of thought of in the ignition side of things.

Now i thought, it HAS HAS HAS to be something we just messed with... spark plugs, vacuum lines (we had them checked cause the car has been very sluggish so we had one end off, blew in to make sure there was no blockage or holes, put it back on).

I re checked the vacuum lines, they all seem fine. The air filter is back on after we had it off, seems fine and tight.. everything seems connected. The spark plugs were pulled.. a little bit of oil on them.. so I wiped them off, put them back in, installed the new roter. I took it for a drive... its FIXED!! So i slow down, shift down, make a turn and .... missing again. I checked the plugs again and they are still dry. It almost seemed like when I shifted down, it started.. we toped off clutch fluid but i mean.. transmission should have NOTHING to do with causing my engine to miss right?

It misses on acceleration more than idle.. idle does sometimes. Any ideas or opinions on what i told ya? I know my compression was a little off but not enough to cause it not to run.. would that be a prob maybe?

RonJ

Banned
Bad plug wires and distributor cap? How old are the spark plugs? Any CEL codes?

You signature says Civic EX. Include the year and any mods.

zang8027

5+ Year Member
98 honda ex . The plugs are decently new. I seen no sparks when i tested the wires. No corrosion anywhere. I see no codes except for the one that has been on since i bought it (p420 cat. converter)

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so its not throwing a missfire code? check to make sure that the injector clips are properly seated

RonJ

Banned
98 honda ex .
Is it stock? If you want people to help you, put all this information into your signature.

I seen no sparks when i tested the wires. No corrosion anywhere.
You can't see all problems with plug wires. Is their resistance within specs? Have you inspected the distributor cap? Any wear or corrosion?

I see no codes except for the one that has been on since i bought it (p420 cat. converter)
Do you have a cat? Is it clogged?

zang8027

5+ Year Member
I might? I dont know anything about cars really.. just my car is a 1998 Honda Civic EX.. p420 i the only engine code I have. I would assume I do have a cat.

I believe its a stock civic ex, with a after market intake.. everything else seems stock. Cap seems fine, no moister or corrosion or cracks. The plugs were fine so I would assume if the resistace was wrong, it would be happening when i put them on.

Another thing is that its not missing same time each time.. as if the cap was mis firing.. its not .. whats the word..

Ill prob spend the cash to get it looked at.. just sucks cause the car is worth like 1k so taking it to a garage is kinda.. pricey

RonJ

Banned
I would assume I do have a cat.

Don't assume. Just look under the car for a cat:

Cap seems fine, no moister or corrosion or cracks.

Any wear? Post a picture showing the inside of the cap.

The plugs were fine so I would assume if the resistace was wrong, it would be happening when i put them on.

This does not in any way rule out the possibility of bad plug wires.

Another thing is that its not missing same time each time.. as if the cap was mis firing.. its not .. whats the word..

This also does not rule out a problem with cap.