Problem: Engine shuts off all of a sudden...

moltar

5+ Year Member
I was just turning into the parking lot and all of sudden the engine just went off. Like someone turned off the ignition. There was no noise or anything weird, just as someone would turn the key. I restarted it and it started up fine, but then immediately shut off again. I waited a few seconds and restarted it and then it was running like normal.

I left the parking lot and did a few laps around the block. It was running just fine. I parked it. Shut off the engine and tried to restart it. I could hear the starter running strong, but the engine didn't start. Keep in mind that the engine is really warm at this point, because I was driving for a while, so it should start immediately. After a few tries it started and was idling just fine for a minute. Then I shut if off and went home.

What could it be?

Possible clues:

1) I killed my battery about a month ago and took it to the garage. The garage told me I might have a distributor problem. Since then I was driving on a brand new battery.
2) My gas mileage is really bad lately. It could be attributed to winter. I don't know if it's normal, as it's my first winter driving. I get ~ 400km on a tank. During summer I was getting close to 550-600 on a tank.

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
could be the ignition module in the dizzy. try starting it when its cold.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mine is starting to do that after a long drive. I'll park it and then go to start it a few minutes later and it'll start but then die...thats only done that a couple of times..

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that happen to me once..i was running a p28 chipped at the moment..6am going to work..got off an exit, came to a traffic light..stop..engine still running, step on clutch put in first..DIE!! start her up, she struggle but woudln't turn over..tries 3x more..then wait a while, then start her back up keep giving her more gas..she starts and never did it again..since then, i've replaced: spark plugs, cap and rotor, spark plug wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, pvc..i say, if ur car have lots of miles on it..might as well start the tune up early..

knotapunk

5+ Year Member
mine does the same thing for some odd reason. '93 DX hatch, standard, aftermarket muffler, air intake, and short shift....seems to do it if I only turn it off for a few minutes, like getting gas, or putting oil in it (cracked o-ring). this might sound stupid, but if it's possible, pop the hood, and it'll start right away. won't do it again. I live in Canada, so we're used to having -30 days, and like you, happens in the summer alot, or if I'm driving long distances. It'll happen on a wet day in the summer too. at first thought it was my spark plugs and wires, but doesn't do it in the winter. good ol' Hondas though. I'll never buy anything else ever again...automatic either...pfff.

moltar

5+ Year Member
I talked to my buddy who's a pro mechanic and he said it might be a fuel pump. He said that the pump may not be delivering enough gas and the engine just dies.

He also told me an easy way to check if by any chance it's electrical. Get an old spark plug, pull up one of the wires and swap the plug for the old one. Then start the car and see if it sparks up. Do this check when it's not starting up obviously. But I guess it's difficult cause it's so random.

Anyways, so far, it's been good. Starting every time no problem... I guess it was just a one time thing.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
Also, this is common when the electrical part of your ignition switch is starting to go. The contacts wear out inside and cause the vehicle to shutoff sometimes at bumps, turns, and completely random times.

moltar

5+ Year Member
I know for sure that my key is worn out. A few month ago I went to get a spare key cut at Canadian Tire (a huge chain store) and it got stuck in the ignition. I bet those bastards f**ked it up!

civic402Lx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^damn..that sux...i went to honda dealer and had them cut me one..only 6bucks for one made..same goes for my sister's dx..couldn't even open the door sometime with the key since it's worn down pretty bad..spend 13bucks for 2 brand new one..had them cut it from the VIN #..awesome..

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
I know for sure that my key is worn out. A few month ago I went to get a spare key cut at Canadian Tire (a huge chain store) and it got stuck in the ignition. I bet those bastards f**ked it up!
Im not talking about the lock cylinder. There are two parts which work together as the ignition switch. You have the electrical portion and the lock cylinder portion. Im saying that its common for cars to shut off randomly if the electrical portion is starting to go bad.

^^damn..that sux...i went to honda dealer and had them cut me one..only 6bucks for one made..same goes for my sister's dx..couldn't even open the door sometime with the key since it's worn down pretty bad..spend 13bucks for 2 brand new one..had them cut it from the VIN #..awesome..
Most will ask that you provide ownership of the vehicle before they will cut you a key from a VIN#. So if you go that route, be prepared.

Last edited:

moltar

5+ Year Member
Ya should've known better and gone straight to the dealer. I was just at the Tire and remembered that I need a spare key, and just did it. They keys don't even look good. No Honda markings =) I'll get mine done next time I drive by the dealer. Thanks!

PS Again, so far so good. Starting like new =)