problem with engine over reving when started

hatchback fan

i have a 5th gen civic si, EH3, 1.6L , 5sp, i just bought. the old owner treated the car like a race car. Now when i start the car the rpm's over rev for the first 5 minutes on it's own. it happens every time the car has sat for to long.

I'm thinking its the t.p.s. sensor on the throttle body. But i don't have the $$ yet to take it to the honda dealer shop yet. Anyone know what's going on? How to fix it maybe?

lethalmilkshake

Could've been redlined recently. My friend redlined his truck once and it would over rev for a few minutes when he started it. It did this for a couple weeks, eventually tweaked itself out, but I don't know what the problem is exactly.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how high does it rev?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how high does it rev?
x2 more info... any CEL? How does it drive normally? Where are the RPM's? If it's not much higher then it's normal for the car to do so when warming up..

hatchback fan

how high it rev

the car rev's to the 2 1/2 - 3 mark. when i start it up I can put it in gaer and drive for 5 minutes before i have to tap on the gas petle. I've rev'ed the engine myself thinking it was catching on something but it will still over rev after i let off the gas. After the reving stops it idles at about 1/2 - 1 with on other problems .

Last edited:

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
when you start the car, pop the hood and check if the throttle lever is stuck. then the tention on you throttle cable its self. gl

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
maybe its just warming itself up?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check out the IACV it might be a little gunked up

Hondaskitzo

5+ Year Member
Try adusting the throttle cable tension. Its possible the previous owner tightend it up too much to get quicker throttle response but went overboard with it so it idles high. If you loosen the tenion it should fix your problem.

stateofjustin

Try adusting the throttle cable tension. Its possible the previous owner tightend it up too much to get quicker throttle response but went overboard with it so it idles high. If you loosen the tension it should fix your problem.
Definitely... pull your intake and make sure the throttle plate is not only on the external stop, but that it is almost completely sealing the intake track. Not sure if your year has an adjustable stop, probably not, but if it does check that too.

I have a '95 and had a problem with a piece of rubber at the end of the throttle cable coming off and wedging in between the cable and the armature, I would have to rev and rev to get it to fall back out and put my revs to normal. Was a small amount like yours, 2-3K. Your car is completely different, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

hatchback fan

helpful idea thanks

Definitely... pull your intake and make sure the throttle plate is not only on the external stop, but that it is almost completely sealing the intake track. Not sure if your year has an adjustable stop, probably not, but if it does check that too.

I have a '95 and had a problem with a piece of rubber at the end of the throttle cable coming off and wedging in between the cable and the armature, I would have to rev and rev to get it to fall back out and put my revs to normal. Was a small amount like yours, 2-3K. Your car is completely different, but it wouldn't hurt to look.
something to check thanks