Problem With My 2006 CIVIC PLEASE HELP!!!

jjaisusa2001

5+ Year Member
I have a 2006 Honda civic LX. My problem with it is that when I start the car, it would reve up to 3k and the car would start shaking and eventually stall. My mechanic told me that it was the Air Flow Meter because when He unplugged it, the car did not stall but the driving itself wasnt perfect. At stops the car would shake sometimes harder than others and it would have a 2 to 3 second hesitation when i press the gas pedal. I then changed the Air flow meter and the car ran fine fine I even drove it for a little while. But the bad news is after a 5 minute test drive, on my way back home the car stalled and from then on started having the same problem as before.
Someone please help.

By the way if you have suggestions please explain in detail what to do since I have little experience with mechanic work. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Best advice i will give you is to take the car to a dealer, if you replaced the MAF like your mech said, then it's obviously not it, or something is causing it to short out or whatever, then car is still too new for ma and pa shops to even get correct guesstimations on. I know dealers are expensive, but i'd put my money on them getting it right the first time before anyone else, IMO.

jjaisusa2001

5+ Year Member
I just spoke to a mechanic and He said that the intake manifold is leaking and it will cost $200 to fix. So could that be what caused the problems I meantioned before??? Please advise. By the way Does anybody know if the 8th gen. civics have plastic or metal intake manifolds?

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I just spoke to a mechanic and He said that the intake manifold is leaking and it will cost $200 to fix. So could that be what caused the problems I meantioned before??? Please advise. By the way Does anybody know if the 8th gen. civics have plastic or metal intake manifolds?
not to sound like a d**k, but lift your hood and look, lol, i know the Si's are aluminum, not sure about the R18's though, but where from is the manifold leaking, also, check with honda on what the warranty is on the engine, i know in 2007 for sure that it was 5years or 60 miles, whichever comes first, if that is the same for 2006 and you have less the 60k miles, then take it to a dealer and get it fixed for free, check in your owners manual, cause it will have the warranty info in there, but again let me know where it's leaking from, maybe i can give you a better idea of what it cost to repair it, if honda can't cover it for free.

SpeedSi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Do you have any aftermarket parts? Sometimes if there not installed correctly, it can cause problems

jjaisusa2001

5+ Year Member
No, I have no aftermarket parts on there but we eventually determined the problem which was a broken PURGE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE. That being broken faulted everything else like the air flow meter etc. I just special ordered it from honda and once put in I will let you guys know if it was the actual cause of the problem. Thanks for all your help.

BluCiv08

5+ Year Member
my girlfriends car did something like that, it wouldnt stall but it woudl hold idle around 2.8-3k rpm, she took it in and it was her vacum lines maybe look into this also?

SnoBall92

5+ Year Member
Sorry if this is somewhere else ...

would you offer the same solution for an automatic?

My car hesitates, only cold, about 89-100 and 300km/tank, for about 5-10 seconds, can repeat hesitation up to 3 times, then resumes as if nothing happened. Mechanic said nothing was wrong.

Could it have anything to do with a prior engine swap? (My car is a 92dx hb ... just know it's an 8th gen engine, can look up the numbers if it's relevent)

Any suggestions?

civic_si09

5+ Year Member
Hmmm all interesting i have an 09 si sedan with 3k and it only hesitates when cold start, at low rpm acceleration, kinda like my 80 accord had with a 3 barrel carb, tried different gas 87,89,90,91,93 octanes goes to dealer tommorow morn, they said the vtec was the issue i say NO! this is 2009 my 2003 crv does not do it, ill update

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the only gas you should be trying in teh Si is 91 or higher, using a lower octane fuel may cause issue's.

civic_si09

5+ Year Member
Hmmm all interesting i have an 09 si sedan with 3k and it only hesitates when cold start, at low rpm acceleration, kinda like my 80 accord had with a 3 barrel carb, tried different gas 87,89,90,91,93 octanes goes to dealer tommorow morn, they said the vtec was the issue i say NO! this is 2009 my 2003 crv does not do it, ill update
Well the dealer had no answers they tested for 2 days, they said they could not find hesitation, it does not seem to do it on very humid days 70% or above dewpoint, in dryer humidity the more hesitation, will just have to keep looking for a reason...

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
that can be a b***h, it's hard to diag a problem that doesn't show up all the time.