problem

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a few days ago my car took a nice big drink of water through the intake just as i accelerated... the engine hit 3k RPM and then sputtered and white steam was pouring out the tail pipe. So I shut the motor off and coasted to the side of the road. I had it towed home.... :cussing:

The next day i pulled the spark plugs and distributor to see if anything was noticeably wet as suggested by a friend, but it was all dry, so i attempted to restart the engine (probably a bad idea). It cranked over fine and ran, but i noticed a new sound coming from the engine than before. There was still some steam coming out the tail pipe as well, but not nearly as much as before. (Not sure if the steam was just from a cold start-up or water in the engine, now that i think about it.)

Well, I figured that maybe if I pulled the cylinder head off and inspected everything in the cylinder bores and on the cylinder head maybe I could find the problem and fix it, however I made a big mistake... being so damn intelligent... I forgot to drain the engine oil before starting on this. :smackself:

About 3 hours later... once I finally pulled the cylinder head off, all the oil in the oil passages of the cylinder head drained all over the block as well as in the empty coolant passages. :( :(

I'm just wondering....

1) is it even worth it to attempt to save the motor anymore? or should i just assume it is a dead motor?
2) if the motor is saveable without doing a full rebuild.... how can i get all the damn oil out of the coolant passages in the block? I assume I have to remove the block now??

As much as I would love to use this opportunity as an excuse to drop in another motor.... I don't have the financial ability to pull that off, certainly not for a few months.

CiVIcCFAsST

godzilla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well sounds like you have some bad luck, hydrolock is when water goes into the cylinders, through the intake valves, but your car started up fine , so i think it was okay...but i wasnt there, but you have a cai i assume, tisk tisk

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
did you find any damage once you pulled the head off?

chances are the motor is still ok, drain all the fluids, re-assemble the engine, run some coolant flush through the system, and you should be fine for quite awhile

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
did you find any damage once you pulled the head off?

chances are the motor is still ok, drain all the fluids, re-assemble the engine, run some coolant flush through the system, and you should be fine for quite awhile
i need to look a bit more but i didn't see any damage. i'll do what you suggested, thank you a ton Todd.

CiVIcCFAsST said:
well sounds like you have some bad luck, hydrolock is when water goes into the cylinders, through the intake valves, but your car started up fine , so i think it was okay...but i wasnt there, but you have a cai i assume, tisk tisk
Yep I own a CAI... it was a really stupid mistake, I was just tired and not thinking to disconnect it before driving through the water. I was doing fine just coasting through the water until the end, when I thought I was out of it and decided to accelerate. :smackself

I always have bad luck with this car. I must have jinxed myself long ago