problems after y8 intake manifold swap on y7

alex_n/a

stocker
I've searched for a couple hours and have only gotten more lost :(

I swapped a auto d16y8 intake manifold on my y7. I used my y7 throttle body with a y8 rotor. kept the y7 throttle cable. everything else stayed y7. lower intake gasket also y7. I blocked off the cruise control nipple. iacv nipples are connected as they should be so is the pcv and evap. I used the y8 throttle body gasket by accident. I will be buying a new y7 gasket tomorrow morning. I have adjusted the throttle cable properly. reset the ecu a few times. all wires are connected. I am running a short (hot air) intake right now. I just put a cone filter as I plan to go turbo soon.

My problems are depending what i plug or don't plug.

version 1. I plug everything in as i think it is. car backfires and misfires. drives okay. cel will flash and turn solid. repeats. rough idle or hunting idle. i suspected the tb gasket and bad iacv. for the idle issue.

version 2. I unplug iacv and the other plug that is the same. I believe its the maf sensor. rough idle high idle. runs rich. does not do the hunting idle. not sure about the misfire. if any its worse on version 1.

version 3. I plug everything in but switch the plugs on the iacv and maf sensor. the car will idle okay. quick jerks to the trottle cable make it rev quick and correctly. slowing increasing the idle will bog out. basically will choke itself to death.

I worked on it all day and need the car for work tomorrow. should I make a quick trip to the autoparts store tomorrow and get a y7 tb gasket and have them run the codes for me for all 3 versions to see what info i can get?

my problems appear to be related to either the maf sensor or the iacv. except for the misfire. i don't know what to do about that. it has new plug wires and spark plugs. should I buy a cap and rotor?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pull the CEL code.
Never switch plugs like that! If you switch certain plugs like the intake air temp and idle air control valve plugs you can blow a transistor on the ECU. you need to go over where everything is supposed to be plugged in and make sure they're in the correct spots, then pull your ecu out real quick and check to make sure theres no burnt marks in it from you blowing it. Easiest things to check

alex_n/a

stocker
Plug wires are in correct order. And look new still.

Map sensor has. Yellow/red. Green/white. Red/green.

Iacv sensor has. Green/black. Red/black. Yellow/green.

Cel is p0420. Misfire on 4th cylinder.

Thanks for the help. Right now the car over heated too.

RonJ

Banned
Map sensor has. Yellow/red. Green/white. Red/green.
This is correct.

Iacv sensor has. Green/black. Red/black. Yellow/green.
Here the TPS connector is plugged into the IACV.

Post pictures all sensors and their connectors.

What about these sensors:

IAT, IACV, TPS, and ECT?

Cel is p0420. Misfire on 4th cylinder...Right now the car over heated too.
You may need to compression test the cylinders.

alex_n/a

stocker
IACV, black/blue, white/black, orange (this is how it was all along)
TPS, green/black, red/blk, white/blue (its dark but i think that's the colors
ECT?

top view

top vacuum line goes to the evap.
bottom vacuum line goes to the pcv.

map sensor
yellow-red
green-white
red-green

tps
green-black
red-black
white-blue

iacv
black-blue
white-black
orange

brake booster vacuum

blocked off nipple for the cruise control

evap
black-white
red-white

ect
black
green

iat
red-white (or red-yellow)
black-blue (green-black) I left the sensor attached to the harness so no way off mixing this one up

distributor setup

I think my overheated problem was because i did not properly fill my radiator.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You should go get the right vacuum cap to seal that off.

alex_n/a

stocker
4th injector does not fire at. all. Intake asket has a leak near the 4th cylinder and my. Coolant system still has air.ill fix these over the weekend.

alex_n/a

stocker
I have replaced the intake manifold gasket with a new one again. torqued all the nuts down correctly and checked for leaks. It is all good now there. I replaced the throttle body gasket with a new one too. but I am 90% sure they gave me a y8 gasket. the square hole is bigger then the y7 throttle body hole. so I will be putting the old y7 gasket back in. I now have a leak there and I didn't with the y7 so that should fix that. I have two new problems. the MAP sensor and TPS have set off the CEL. codes are p0122 and p0108. there is black smoke coming from the exhaust tip. I believe the car is running too rich. I did put fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank if the matters. I no longer have misfire or misfire codes. my car idles at 1500. when it does not hunt for idle.

alex_n/a

stocker
Check your PMs.
Thankyou that helped a lot. the car runs good now. no misfire or smoke or bad idle.

Now my only problem is the throttle cable getting stuck. I'm going to get the EX one tomorrow since I'm off work. I have been trying to buy a new one from parts store but no one sells them. is this true? they don't find the part under any category.

rover4x4

5+ Year Member
i get a iat sensor cel after my intake swap car run wells i lost a couple mpg with the y8 intake. i used stock intake and airbox from an ex, i replaced the sensor with a new one and i continue to get a cel. i can drive the car a couple hundred miles before the cel